PDA

View Full Version : Working with solid surface

Sam Shank
01-04-2007, 3:28 PM
Can anyone point me to resources for working with solid surface material? I'm going to start a bathroom project soon and will use solid surface for tops.

I know that it's machined and works like wood, which is why I want to do it myself.

I have never used the stuff and was wondering if anyone had good starting points. It should be fairly simple stuff like polishing ends and bowl cutouts, mounting bowls underneath, etc. I won't be joining 2 pieces or making complex shapes. Just 2 bathroom vanity tops with a backsplash perhaps. One about 45 inches and the other about 65.

Thanks for the help...

Sam

Chip Olson
01-04-2007, 4:19 PM
If you can find a source that will sell to end-users, let us know. I'd love to use it for my kitchen but as far as I can tell it the manufacturers require professional installation, which isn't in either my time or money budget.

David Wilson
01-04-2007, 5:29 PM
Try this sight.
http://stonewood.safeshopper.com/index.htm?323
Never done business with them but they sell to non-profesionals.

Sam
I've used a lot of recycled corian and it can be machined with ww tools.
It is tricky to cut with a band saw. My best luck was on a table saw. Carbide router bits work fine. Wear mask when cutting and be prepaired for a nasty smell.

Jim Becker
01-04-2007, 5:33 PM
David, they do sell to end-users, but the Corian "retail" is only up to 15" x 72". 'Sounds like it may be off-cuts. No problem for small projects, but it's going to require seaming for counters.