PDA

View Full Version : Elk Kaleggoscope

Michael Armstrong
01-04-2007, 3:02 PM
Some of the options for the LOML's Christmas present didn't work out. She had been asking for one of these kaleidoscopes and I thought I'd make her a one of a kind out of some elk antler. It took a lot of time to turn but I found the Benjamin's Best Versa-chisels worked well. Not the greatest of photos but sometime I'll build a proper lighting tent.

Michael

John Timberlake
01-04-2007, 3:32 PM
Nice job. I never turned any antler, but it looks good.

Jon Shively
01-04-2007, 4:46 PM
Very nice, I like the stand, made a bunch of kaleidoscopes for Christmas presents, never thought of the stand. Will have to dig through the wood pile and turn a few, thanks for the thought.

Steve Schlumpf
01-04-2007, 4:52 PM
That's impressive!! Nice form and I love the color!

Really nice work Michael!

Tom Sherman
01-04-2007, 4:53 PM
Very nice Mike, I bet LOYL loved it. I know mine would.

Michael Armstrong
01-04-2007, 5:07 PM
Thanks for the comments! Antler is interesting to turn and the colours can be fantastic.

Jon - it just didn't make any sense to me to buy the metal stands for these when there was always that little scrap left over. I like the low profile of the stand and it provides a convenient place for my name and the material.

Tom- she was thrilled. I have a nice one made from some lilac that she had her eye on but was really surprised with this one. She knows the work I put into turning the antler.

Michael

John Hart
01-04-2007, 5:51 PM
Very nice Michael!!! great finish and great form....not to mention a cool idea. Just curious though...how big is it?

Bernie Weishapl
01-04-2007, 5:53 PM
Michael that is a beauty. I like the form and finish. Nice job.

Jon Shively
01-04-2007, 7:20 PM
I didn't see the metal stands either, but wouldn't have bought one. Just been standing them on the large glass end. That will change though thanks to you!!

Michael Armstrong
01-04-2007, 9:55 PM
Very nice Michael!!! great finish and great form....not to mention a cool idea. Just curious though...how big is it?

John:
On the stand it is about 3 inches high by about 2 inches in diameter. The turned part is 2 1/4 inches. They are a nice size to fit on an end table or a mantle. They have been a really popular seller for me.

Michael

Michael Armstrong
01-04-2007, 9:58 PM
I didn't see the metal stands either, but wouldn't have bought one. Just been standing them on the large glass end. That will change though thanks to you!!

Jon;
The turned stand just gives them a little more stability. Wouldn't want it to start rolling off the table:mad:. Also since I sell them I want to be sure that people can easily see who made them.:)

Michael

Ernie Nyvall
01-04-2007, 11:24 PM
Big antler.

Nice job Machael.