PDA

View Full Version : Routers for a Leigh FMT

Chris Rosenberger
01-04-2007, 11:21 AM
What is the best plunge router to use on the Leigh FMT?

Also does anyone have pictures of jigs for holding small parts?

Thank You.

Chris

John Russell
01-04-2007, 11:59 AM
I ask this question occassionally -- here are some of the responses you are likely to get:

a) can't go wrong with the Dewalt 621
b) the Bosch 1617 kit or the heavier 1619evs
c) Festool 1400 or maybe the lighter 1010
d) PC, Makita, and other personal favorites.

There does not seem to be a consensus about any one router that I have found. After using the jig some, I know that weight, center of gravity, and a smooth plunge make using the tool easier. I have a Bosch 1617 mounted on mine, but I am always looking for something a little less heavy that will be smooth to plunge. Some have constructed a table behind the FMT to slide heavier routers to the rear rather than lifting it off.

Good luck...

Chris Rosenberger
01-04-2007, 12:11 PM
Thanks John.
I have a Bosch 1615EVS that I do not like using freehand so I mounted it on the FMT last night. It does not plunge smooth. Sometimes it will catch. It did cut good.

John Lucas
01-04-2007, 12:49 PM
Thanks John.
I have a Bosch 1615EVS that I do not like using freehand so I mounted it on the FMT last night. It does not plunge smooth. Sometimes it will catch. It did cut good.

It should work smoothly. You may want to clean and lube that and try again. I have used the PC 890 and the Festool 1400. Love the latter and the Festool 1010 would be the right wweight for it...but it uses 8mm or 1/4" bits. Since they are straight bits, this should be a problem.

John Russell
01-04-2007, 1:24 PM
I have used the Festool 1400 on my FMT and I do like it alot -- I would prefer one router dedicated to the FMT and I don't want to dedicate the 1400 to that task alone. But, the plunge on it is so smooth that it is hard to beat. I do like the Bosch, but it is a little heavy. I also investigated the new Triton 2.25Hp router. It weighs ten pounds or so, but I could not warm to the plunge for the type of use I would like on the FMT.

In the end for me the issue is primarily a smooth plunge and weight secondary. I might just leave the Bosch 1617 attached since it is smooth enough. If I do decide to replace the 1617 on the FMT, I might do it with festool 1010 since it is light and seems to have plenty of power from what I have read about it. I am shopping for a used one.

Jim Becker
01-04-2007, 1:25 PM
DW621 or DW625 might be good to look at for this dedicated purpose...

Carl Hill
01-04-2007, 1:42 PM
Chris, I use the Bosch 1619EVS and have had great results. I have built a table to the rear of the jig to hold the router between cuts. I also leave the bit extended between cuts when cutting the tenons. This allows for more consistency when cutting multiple parts. Just make sure you allow the router to stop before you lift it out of the jig. Don't ask me how I know this. Don't have pictures of any small part holding jigs although I have made many. Usually just some simple disposable ones made from culls. By the way, did I mention that the FMT is one of my favorite tools:) .

Good Luck,
Carl

pat warner
01-04-2007, 4:28 PM
Also does anyone have pictures of jigs for holding small parts?

Thank You.

Chris[/quote]
1) (http://patwarner.com/images/morticing_jig2.jpg) Can hold parts down to < 1 x 1 in section, work gets woked on thru window. And
2) (http://patwarner.com/images/sled.jpg) Used to hold thin metal and wood (<3/8" thick) for jointing & edging.

Chris Rosenberger
01-06-2007, 2:00 PM
I went through my inventory of routers & decided to use a Bosch 1613. It worked well.
:) As for a early review of the FMT.
I had seen FMT demos several time at woodworking shows. I never could see what it could do better than I could do with the tools I already had. I am wanting to build some chairs & decided to give the FMT a try.
I could not have been more wrong. Once I got over the idea that the FMT was a very complex tool, I realized it is a very simple tool. The most difficult part was getting the fit of the joint correct. Once I got them to fit correctly, I recorded the settings & was able to change & then go back to those same setting with the same result. I think that this jig is going to be used alot more in my shop than I had first thought.:D