PDA

View Full Version : Ambo, anyone???

Lynn Sonier
11-16-2003, 5:19 PM
I have been hesitant to post any pictures of my work here because of all the beautiful stuff you guys (and gals) post. Recently, I was asked to build an ambo for a local Catholic church here in Thibodaux, La. Don't feel bad, I didn't know an "ambo" was a speaker's stand until a couple of weeks ago. It is built of red oak and 3/4 oak ply. The biggest part of the job was getting the two columns turned. I can't claim credit for them as my friend, Carl Eyman, did the turning, and did a darn good job in my estimation. They are 5.5" x 36" and are made of 8/4 x 6 oak. They were glued together with polyurethane glue.
On the right of the ambo you can see an altar I made a couple of months ago. Of course, Carl did the turning then too.
I now have about 20 pieces in varing sizes at 3 different local churches.
Maybe my charm is I work cheap!

(Tried to post larger picture but was unable to)

Mike Evertsen
11-16-2003, 6:59 PM
lynn ,,,,,,from what I can see looks nice,,,keep posting pictures of your work,,,

Ace Karner
11-16-2003, 7:00 PM
Nice work Lynn, I'm sure you will be more than adequately compensated in the furture for your church work.

Bob Lasley
11-16-2003, 8:07 PM
Lynn,

Nicest looking ambo I've ever seen...............of course, it's the only ambo I've ever seen. Seriously, you and Carl both did a very nice job and you should be proud.

Bob

Todd Burch
11-16-2003, 9:01 PM
Hey - I recognize those legs!!! Carl had a post about them a couple weeks (or less) ago about them. So it was YOU that didn't get him enough information!! HA!! BUSTED!! The ambo looks great (new word for me too). Keep 'em coming! I'm doing a bunch of picture frames for a Catholic church now myself. I need to get them done - I keep tripping over the stock that is ready to be rabbeted, beveled and cut to mitered lengths. Todd.

dru
11-17-2003, 12:12 AM
Looks great Lynn. Where is Thibodaux?

Lynn Sonier
11-17-2003, 8:46 AM
Thanks for the boquets guys, ah 'preciate it.
Thibodaux is about 60 miles southwest of New Orleans, about 30 miles north of the Gulf of Mexico, and right smack dab in the middle of Heaven.
In my own defense, Todd, the design was originally Carl's to start with. I'm not smart enough to come up with a design like that on my own. Knowing what I do about the difficulty of turning that design, I may have opted for another, more simple, design.