PDA

View Full Version : Bandsaw Choice

Dan Stuewe
01-04-2007, 12:54 AM
Okay, I know there has been a lot of bandsaw talk lately (and I know that I missed out on the pre-price hike at Grizzly), but here is where I stand right now.

I've narrowed it down to the Grizzly G0514x (19") and the Steel City 18" saws. The price should be just about the same and they are at the price point I'm comfortable with. They are very similar with the following differences that cause me to struggle between the two:

Grizzly:
3 HP, two closely spaced trunions, Micro adjust table (tilt), 26.75"x19" table, delivered

Steel City:
2 HP, two widely spaced trunions, tool-less adjustment to guides, foot brake, 20"x20" table, local pickup/support

What does the collective wisdom of the Creek have to say about these differences? Which ones are important? Negligible?

I am planning on this saw replacing my small table saw. I will use it for most of the ripping/cross-cutting duties normally associated with table saws, as well as irregular cuts and some re-sawing. I'll also use it for some turning blank preparation.

Thanks,

Ken Fitzgerald
01-04-2007, 1:16 AM
Dan.....a couple of differences I noticed......The Grizzley is a 3 HP....The Steel City.....2 HP..........The Steel City has a 5 year warrantee.....I couldn't find the warrantee period on the Grizzley......The Grizzley has 2 - 4" dust ports......The Steel City has 1 - 4" dust port.....

Let me know what you decide and how you like it after you get it....give us a review......I'll be buying one later this fall. The 17" Extreme and the 19" Extreme Grizzley's are on my short list....I'll probably include the 18" Steel City too!

Brent Grooms
01-04-2007, 6:44 AM
I was looking at the same saws and I chose the SC 18in. I went with it because of the strength of the blade tensioning system, "beefyness" of construction materials, trunion design and warranty.

Since I dont have access to a Grizz locally, nor a showroom, I used the pictures in their online manuals and find them VERY similar to the Jet and Delta models that I can see in person locally. I feel that the SC is a better built saw. Is it a better saw? Only time will tell, but its nice when you call and ask to talk with a tech on a concern and you wind up talking with the designer/engineer of the saw.

Jim Becker
01-04-2007, 9:08 AM
Fine Woodworking did a short piece on the Steel City and expressed concerns about the guide system flexing during resaw.

Dan Stuewe
01-04-2007, 10:17 AM
Thanks for the posts,

Ken, based on the owners manual for the Grizzly, all Grizzly tools have a one year warrantee. Thanks for brining that up. Also, thanks for bringing up the dust port, for some reason I had thought they both had two (Steel City states that theirs has "4" split dust port". Maybe I'll have to ask what that means.

Brent, I had forgotten to mention the tensioning system. The Steel City uses two springs and cast iron parts. While the Grizzly doesn't seem as beefy (but looks a bit more beefy than the Delta that I've seen). That last sentence is based on looking at pictures on-line.

Jim, as always you're a great source of info! I'll have to keep an eye on that too.

One other difference is the wheels. The Grizzly cast iron wheels are pretty solid with several ~3" holes. The Steel City cast iron wheels have spokes.

Thanks again.

Homer Faucett
01-04-2007, 10:46 AM
Steel City:
2 HP, two widely spaced trunions, tool-less adjustment to guides, foot brake, 20"x20" table, local pickup/support

For me, the local pickup/support is a bonus. If it doesn't fit my bill, it is a lot easier to make the saw someone else's problem. If Grizz delivers it to you, you are at the mercy of their customer service. I would rather have another out besides paying to ship it back if customer service is no good.

On the other hand, 3hp vs 2hp sounds nice, but I don't know how much better performance you will see out of it unless you are doing some serious resaw work.

For me, the quality of the guides is one of the most important factors. I really liked the guides on the Jet 18" when I looked at it, as they were beefy and good quality. I did not like the fact that the lower one was difficult to get to.

Jake Helmboldt
01-04-2007, 11:28 AM
Dan, there was a similar post from a couple weeks ago where I commented on these very saws. Here is a link:
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=48414&highlight=steel+city

The upshot was that, as you noted, these are similar saws and they all offer up various compromises. And while I still favor being able to see a saw in person before buying, I think that for the same price the Grizzly 19" is the better saw.

I suggest you see if there is a ShopFox dealer near you so you can see one in person since they are essentially Grizzly's retail line and are the same except for details and features.

Since you mention trunnions I'll reiterate what I posted in the other link; the SC aluminum trunnions provide a slightly more stable base, but it is negligible and I don't like alum trunnions as I have seen them get gouged and result in poor adjustability (binding, table not level). And the Grizz has essentially a rack and pinnion type of adjustment that is very easy to adjust for accuracy (loosen, turn lever to desired angle, lock dow; all one handed), whereas the SC has two locking knobs and you have to adjust, hold in place, and tighten (not a big deal, but not as user-friendly).

As for the springs, my ShopFox 19" has more than enough tension capability, so I don't think that is a problem, and the 3HP is something I wish I had since I bought my saw to do a lot of resawing. But the 2HP on mine gets the job done. The fence on the Grizz wins hands down.

I know some people really like the SC, and I don't think it is a bad saw. But I don't think it is as good as the Grizz and I don't think it is worth the price premium. As for warranty, that is a plus for SC, but I wonder how many people have warranty issues past that first year. The only real potential in my mind is a bad motor, and if it is gonna fail, I would guess it would be likely to do so in the first year with regular use.

JH

"Gary Brewer"
01-04-2007, 11:08 PM
Dan: I went to Muncy, Pa a couple of weeks ago to look at a Grizzly bandsaw ( the 21" wheel's one ). I had a very negative opinion of Grizzly from people's past experiences but someone I talked to when I was looking at another bandsaw argued their case and recommended I go to Muncy and take a look. I decided to do that just to make sure that I assessed everything completely. I was very impressed with the fit and finish of the casting, paint, and trim work. The table was also very flat mostly dead flat to .002 off. To my surprise I found many well thought out features that most of the "high-end" bandsaws seem lacking. In particular it had the following features that others I was looking at didn't:
1) Roller bearing guides for the blade ( Fine Woodworking felt these were better than the european style. )
2) T-slot miter guide ( table saws have had these for years, why not bandsaws?)
3) Quick release lever for the blade tension ( this is on all their bandsaws )
4) Owner replaceable wheel tires ( the wheels on my bandsaw have to be sent in and it is very expensive $150 / wheel )
5) Rack-and-pinion table tilt mechanism with a lever lock ( very very nice )
6) Smoother rack-and-pinion blade guard mechanism than the other saws I looked at
7) Two dust ports ( better dust extraction? )
8) Two drive belts ( maybe less slipping? not a big deal but nice to have )
9) $700 cheaper than my top two contenders

Now I did buy another bandsaw and I am very happy with it but I spent $700 more and I really had to think hard about it. It would have been nice to have some of the bells and whistles listed above. If money was tighter I would have gone for the Grizzly. I also have a new respect for their equipment. I think the 21" Grizzly bandsaw I looked at is a "best value" in its class. For the money it's a very good deal. If you like the Grizzly I would make sure it is a Taiwanese(sp?) made one and not a China one. The Grizzly Taiwanese bandsaws are right on the tails of the Italian bandsaw makers and if they don't wake up they are going to get bit in the butt like some other manufacturers I know of. Just my 2 cents. FWIW
Gary Brewer

Mike Weaver
01-05-2007, 7:59 AM
Dan: I went to Muncy, Pa a couple of weeks ago to look at a Grizzly bandsaw ( the 21" wheel's one ).

<snip info>

Now I did buy another bandsaw and I am very happy with it but I spent $700 more and I really had to think hard about it.

<snip>

Gary Brewer
Gary,
I don't want to hijack the thread, but - what did you buy?
-Mike

"Gary Brewer"
01-05-2007, 10:14 PM
Mike: I got the Bridgewood PBS 540 bandsaw.
Gary

david eisaman
01-07-2007, 1:05 AM
hi
ckeck out wilke machinery