PDA

View Full Version : I've sinned.....Jimmy Carter and I have a commonality.....We lust....

Ken Fitzgerald
01-03-2007, 11:56 PM
Monday......a fellow Creeker Mike Brooks brought me a load of apple and what they thought was apricot. A friend of his was taking out some trees in a commercial orchard nearby and Mike and his wife Kathy snagged some for me.....This morning I went to the Borg and bought a couple gallons of DNA....I've not had good luck using it but everybody else has so it must be my technique or the wood....but I wanted to try it again.....Late this afternoon.....I fired up my chain saw and made a NE blank from what I think is probably apricot. There was such a beautiful range of color in this thing that I didn't want to cut out the pith as it finished the rainbow.....so I left it in.....my sin

This evening I rough turned it.

I thought you folks were pulling my leg about the "slinging snot" when turning wet wood. I thought I'd turned wet wood....Well obviously I hadn't. I cleaned the wet slobber off my lathe before coming in tonight. Turning it was a kick in the pants! My chainsaw work was a little ragged and I had to make a somewhat odd form but it's an NE.....I even put a small pedestal on the bottom....why not....it's meant to be art.......It's about 6 1/2" in diameter about 7" tall....I turned it to about 3/4" thick. My new Sorby Extra HD inside bowl scraper worked extremely well without any bounce or chatter. That poor little Mini was putting the diving board into the springboard mode as the NE was trying to change shape as it slung slobber all over the place. I poured the 2 new gallons of DNA into my DNA bucket and when I submerged the roughout NE in the alcohol........WOW.......what beautiful color and grain..........I lust......I want this thing to turn out......I have a special use for it that I'll reveal later........

Here's hoping I have better luck with the DNA method this time!

Ron Jones near Indy
01-04-2007, 12:05 AM
Hey Ken,
When you add all that new equipment to your shop, be sure to add a digital camera--we can't see it, so it didn't happen!;) Yes, I'm a self appointed undercover office for the picture police. Seriously, I hope it turns out this time. Keep us posted.

Frank Chaffee
01-04-2007, 12:06 AM
This is Frank in Wisconsin, gazing far off into space… Yes, the moon is full tonite. That sure explains a lot.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-04-2007, 12:10 AM
It's cloudy here Frank.....and the moon may not have even risen here yet.......

But if you'd spin up your Mini......you might sin and lust too!:D

Joe Melton
01-04-2007, 12:30 AM
I know its too late, but DNA costs a lot less at a paint store. Home Depot sells it for about $14 a gallon, including tax, and a local (to me) paint store sells it for $39/five gallon can.
I suspect your DNA is going to be diluted pretty quickly with that wet wood! There is no way to separate the water out without setting up a still, unfortunately.
Congratulations on your advancement to NE bowls, Ken. Look forward to seeing the finished mystery product.
Joe

Ken Fitzgerald
01-04-2007, 12:43 AM
Joe.........I thought about going to a paint store but I had some HD Christmas gift cards to use. I seldom go to the Borg anymore.....I'd rather drive 220 miles roundtrip to Woodcraft in Spokane than 3 miles roundtrip to HD?.........:confused: :D No turning tools or supplies to speak of at HD.

Bill Boehme
01-04-2007, 3:10 AM
I thought you folks were pulling my leg about the "slinging snot" when turning wet wood. I thought I'd turned wet wood....Well obviously I hadn't. I cleaned the wet slobber off my lathe before coming in tonight. Turning it was a kick in the pants! ........... I poured the 2 new gallons of DNA into my DNA bucket and when I submerged the roughout NE in the alcohol........WOW.......what beautiful color and grain..........I lust......I want this thing to turn out......I have a special use for it that I'll reveal later........

I didn't want Ken to be accused of being a fibber for not having pictures of his rainbow bowl so I tuned my crystal ball to Ken's frequency and .... lo, and behold ...... there it appeared right before my eyes!! A sight to behold -- a snot slinging natural edged alcohol drinking rainbow bowl!

Bill

Ken Fitzgerald
01-04-2007, 8:23 AM
I didn't want Ken to be accused of being a fibber for not having pictures of his rainbow bowl so I tuned my crystal ball to Ken's frequency and .... lo, and behold ...... there it appeared right before my eyes!! A sight to behold -- a snot slinging natural edged alcohol drinking rainbow bowl!

Bill

Once again.....This is Ken in Idaho......looking down........shaking his head.....:D

Steve Schlumpf
01-04-2007, 9:17 AM
Ken - looking forward to seeing your new project. Make sure you check your lathe over real good just to make sure it hasn't started to rust. Green wood can really be a mess - but a lot of fun!!

Mark Cothren
01-04-2007, 9:21 AM
Hey Ken, good luck with the DNA... I've not had any problems using that method - and I've put many different flavors of wood thru it. Just be sure and (as it has been documented and described on here before) wrap it up good and tight in paper (I use two layers of newspaper), seal all the openings with tape, then cut a small hole in the middle to let a little air circulate in/out, and let it dry on the rack for a couple of weeks.

Occasionally I get some cracks/splits that start in bigger pieces that I leave too thick, so I check them occasionally and if I see a crack I unwrap it and apply a little CA - then wrap it back up and let it dry some more.

I have a big tub with about 17-18 gallons of DNA in it and I've been using it for a while now. It has gotten really dark in color, but I can't tell that it's any less effective.

Can't wait to see this one finished up.........................Mark

Jim Dunn
01-04-2007, 9:26 AM
Pic Police calling 711 for the pic police. Or do we need an Ear Nose and Throat Abisserationist?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-04-2007, 9:32 AM
Pic Police calling 711 for the pic police. Or do we need an Ear Nose and Throat Abisserationist?

I thought Bill's post and photograph covered that.....:D

Bob Noles
01-04-2007, 6:13 PM
Ken,

You and Jimmy Carter have more common ground than you may realize.

He is an avid woodworker and frequents the Atlanta Woodcraft meetings often. ;)

Barry Stratton
01-04-2007, 6:49 PM
Ken, Ken, Ken............aren't you Tyler's Deputy Pic Policeman?????? :rolleyes: Sounds like it was a FUN ride!

And Bob - when are we going to see a bowl from you????? (Bernie made me ask).......

Bob Noles
01-04-2007, 7:24 PM
Ken, Ken, Ken............aren't you Tyler's Deputy Pic Policeman?????? :rolleyes: Sounds like it was a FUN ride!

And Bob - when are we going to see a bowl from you????? (Bernie made me ask).......

Tell Bernie I'll get to it as soon as I finish this 300 plus pen order I've got sold :D ;)
Now... where did I leave the bowl gouge anyhow :eek:

Bill Boehme
01-05-2007, 1:21 AM
Once again.....This is Ken in Idaho......looking down........shaking his head.....:D

Ken,

Maybe this is a bad time to ask, but do I need to send my crystal ball in for recalibration? It has been know to drift off frequency occasionally.

Bill