PDA

View Full Version : West Penn Hardwoods

Dave Avery
11-16-2003, 5:02 PM
All,

Contemplating a reasonably large mail order from these guys. Has anyone done business with them? Anything negative to look out for? Any particularly positive experiences? Thanks. Dave.

Tony Sade
11-16-2003, 8:27 PM
Dave-I placed one order for some cherry from these folks a while back. Screwed up the order big time-wrong sizes-widths and thicknesses. They probably would have made good on it eventually, but I was so ticked off, I just sent the order back. I doubt I'll do business with them again. I've had good luck with Steve Wall lumber in NC. HTH, Tony

John Pohja
11-16-2003, 8:40 PM
All,

Contemplating a reasonably large mail order from these guys. Has anyone done business with them? Anything negative to look out for? Any particularly positive experiences? Thanks. Dave.
Dave, I purchased some birdseye maple from west penn;pretty nice stuff.The person taking the order over the phone told me i could increase my order up to a certain number of board feet without increasing the shipping cost,so i added another 30 bd ft to the order.I guess up to a certain weight the shipping charge stayed the same. Anyway,they sold more product and I saved a few bucks. I would order from them again,although i think its hard to beat lakeshore hardwoods,especially for cherry. john

Bob Marino
11-16-2003, 10:31 PM
Hey Dave,

I placed several orders with them for qswo and curly qswo and I am very satisfied with the qualty of the wood as well as the price and service. Recently had a gift certificate for another mill and the quality wasn't anywhere as good as Westpenn and at considerably higher prices. I would recommend them.

Bob

Matthew Poeller
11-17-2003, 9:18 AM
Well normally I do not post too much and I am just a lurker from the pond but your subject really peaked my interest. West Penn is where I buy all of my hardwoods. I actually live about 3 minutes from West Penn. I saw that someone had some issues with them and I am sure that is based on who is grabbing the wood for you. As far as the quality goes I think that they have some of the nicest stuff that I have ever seen. I have purchased, oak, cherry, mohagany, purpleheart, walnut as well as others from them and they have always been very high quality. When you call in your order I would ask to talk to Rocky or Christine. Rocky is the owner and Christine(i think that is her name) is and assitant. Either of them will make sure that your order is right. I cannot attest to them getting orders right though I usally pull my truck up to the door and walk my own wood out. Well anyway good luck. I am sure that you will like there wood.

Diane Maluso
11-17-2003, 12:35 PM
I've bought a bunch of odd pieces and about 300 board feet of white oak from Rocky at West Penn. His prices were excellent and the quality great. I picked up in person so don't know anything about how his shipping is but I recommend West Penn based on my experience.

Mike Keating
11-17-2003, 2:25 PM
I purchased some Bubinga and Birds Eye Maple from them back in July. I must say that the quality of the lumber was second to none. Every board was straight and free of any defects. I also bought some Mahoganny shorts to make a mantle clock. I recommend them. Matter of Fact I am going to place another order through them for some more mahoganny for a pool table I am re-doing.

HTH

Mike-in-Havertown, PA