PDA

View Full Version : Medium Shoulder Planes LN vs LV

Bill Franklin
01-03-2007, 9:59 PM
I have decided to get a medium shoulder plane. The LV medium shoulder plane comes out great on the reviews that I have read, but the current LN version seems to be new. So I am not sure they have been pitted against each other much. I am a real LN fan but don't want to make a less good decision based solely on brand loyalty. Has anyone out there used both and have an opinion? I welcome all input.

The cost difference is less than $20 so, I am looking for performance or feature based differences.

Thanks.

Michael Fross
01-03-2007, 10:05 PM
Happy New Year Bill.

I've purchased the LV version and have been very happy with it. The sides, sole, and blade were extremely true and it's a very comfortable tool to use. The hole under the blade is a very handy place for a finger. Also, while I thought it was just a gimmick, I find myself using the adjustable knob on the top depending on how I'm holding it.

I'm not going to be much help with the LN and I agree to not just buy based on brand loyality. However, I'm a big fan of both....

Can't go wrong either way, but I'm a very happy LV owner.

Michael

Mark Singer
01-03-2007, 10:15 PM
Bill I have the LN large Shoulder plane and the Veritas Medium...both great.. I don't think you can go wrong...the LN is based on the Record 73 but smaller...

Bryan Lord
01-03-2007, 10:21 PM
I have 4 LN planes and absolutely love them. BUT, my two shoulder planes are LV and I can't imagine a plane being any better. They just fit the hand so well and the moveable knob on the back is great.

Russ Massery
01-03-2007, 10:27 PM
I have LV very happy with it. I was at the same crossroad year or so ago. I like the ergonomics of the Veritas a little better. And the set screws adjustment on the Veritas.( for setting the blade side to side) But I feel you can't go wrong with either.

Ian Smith
01-04-2007, 3:04 AM
I've got the Lie-Nielsen medium and I'm very happy with it. It is based on the Record 042.

I can't help with any comments on the Veritas, I haven't tried it. I have read heaps of good comments about it though so I'm sure either plane would be fine.

Hans Braul
01-04-2007, 6:59 AM
Just got my LV a couple of days ago (late Christmas gift - yahooo!) and have yet to really use it much but so far it's a thing of beauty. Looks perfect to me. It's getting hard to sleep at night though, and my partner is starting to complain - she says I can't sleep with all my planes AND her, I have to pick one, so I'm debating whether it should be my new shoulder plane or my LV low angle block.;)

Cheers

Hans

Ken Werner
01-06-2007, 5:19 PM
I love my LV med. Like several have said, you can't go wrong with either. If you have some LNs and no LVs, I'd say give the LV a try. Have fun.
Ken