PDA

View Full Version : Shop cabinet ?'s

Paul Kinneberg
01-03-2007, 9:43 PM
When I moved 2 years ago I brought the maple shop cabinets I had made for my old shop with me. I had two 4' Cabinets for a total of 8'. At the new shop I split them and added an additional 3' on each end, with a 3' open section in the middle. My plan is to have about 7' feet of laminate counter on each side with a 3' section of 2 1/4 maple top, with bench dog holes for holding work to do carving, in the middle. Here are my questions:

- First how would you connect the three counter top sections together?
- Second how much wood movement do you think I will get on the maple section? should I leave the whole counter floating so its not an issue?
- Third I have the maple top in 3 sections now should I drill the bench dog holes with the drill press before final assembly or should I use a hand drill after the fact?

Thanks for your help.

Paul Kinneberg
01-21-2007, 7:34 PM
I thought some pictures might help!! Again the two questions are how much movement can I expect in the 2 3/8" solid maple benchtop (42" long)? and suggestions for attaching to the laminate sections as well as the cabinets?

Jim Dunn
01-21-2007, 8:14 PM
First off it looks more like a lab or kitchen than a shop. Where are the tools to adorn all that space.

2nd I think, and might be wrong here, there is a counter top bolt utilizing a nut on each end that might work for attaching each top to the other. I have an 8' piece of maple in my bench top and it has never moved in 3 years.

3rd I drilled my top after the maple was installed in the bench top. I had a friend bore and fit with a drill bushing a jig to give me 5" on center holes for fixtures and such. It uses a 3/4" drill so I can use bench dogs. Real useful for long pieces.

Jim Becker
01-21-2007, 9:20 PM
The movement on that maple top should be front to back, not in length, so as long as you allow that movement to happen, you'll be fine. So...my concern is the joint between that part of the bench and the area with the laminate. It seems continuous. You may have problems if you don't rectify that.

Great looking bench!!