PDA

View Full Version : Shellac & Toxicity

Matt P
01-03-2007, 8:46 PM
Hi,
How toxic is the denatured alcohol that is used with shellac? I know that denatured alcohol sometimes contains methanol, which is toxic to some degree. Apparently there are many additives that can be used to "denature" the alcohol, and they don't seem to be listed on the can. Is it anything to worry about when doing a lot of shellacking? (I ask because I was reading the cautions on a can of MinWax Paste Finishing Wax, which "contains aliphatic hydrocarbons" and has some pretty serious health warnings on the can. Thought maybe shellac is a safer bet.)

Does anyone really know the answer to the safety of denatured alcohol question?

Thanks in advance,
Matt

Jim Becker
01-03-2007, 10:04 PM
Like any finish, you should have good ventilation when working with shellac and wear a respirator. The alcohol flashing off can get quite...umm...distracting. Obviously, you shouldn't drink the stuff, either... ;)

David Wilson
01-03-2007, 10:06 PM
Ever notice the Hospital smell with shellac. Same alcohal they use for disenfecting. Just don't drink ot.

Dennis Peacock
01-04-2007, 1:45 AM
Shellac is not only a wood finish. It's also used in hair spray, medication pill coating, some food coatings, and many other uses. When it's fully cured, it's safe.

Steve Schoene
01-04-2007, 11:20 AM
If you want to avoid the hint of unpleasant solvents, beyond ethanol, you could mix shellac flakes with non-denatured alcohol. Everclear--the 190 proof version--should work, if it is available in your state. But of course, a large part of the cost will be tax.

Doug Stewart
01-04-2007, 6:14 PM
When it's fully cured, you will not have any problems. But I would still wear a respirator for safety's sake.

Jason Roehl
01-04-2007, 7:39 PM
Ever notice the Hospital smell with shellac. Same alcohal they use for disenfecting. Just don't drink ot.

Huh? Last I knew, the alcohol used for disinfecting in any medical capacity was isopropyl alcohol. DNA is mostly ethanol (which needs to be denatured so that people won't drink it off the hardware store shelves and so the hardware store doesn't have to get a liquor license).

Steve Schoene
01-04-2007, 8:37 PM
There are no clear finishes that represent a hazard when fully cured. The issue is breathing the solvents during application. Both waterborne finishes and oil based finishes have solvents not terribly desirable to breathe extensively. Shellac, with pure ethanol, is not much worse than hanging around a bar for the evening.