PDA

View Full Version : Thanks, & floor pic's

Joe Tonich
11-16-2003, 3:56 PM
Here's a couple of pic's of the floor I'm refinishing. The first is a pic of how bad the floor was. I've been putting it off as this floor gets used ALL the time. It connects the Kitchen, Living room, hall to BR's & Bath. I used a Cherryhill 4 disk Floor sander http://www.u-sand.com/product_info_.html to sand the floor. It isn't very aggressive and takes longer to use it, but, I didn't have to worry about gouging the floor. The dust collection on this sander is GREAT! :D Some dust still got out but there was no thick dust cloud. You still need a mask but it actually produced less airborn dust than my ROS does. I had to start with 24grit so I could sand out the gouges that were put in when I used a drum sander 12yrs ago. I worked thru the grits to 100 grit then used a floor buffer with 120grit screen. I used a B&D Mouse for the corners and my ROS for the edging. I used Velvit Oil for the finish (See Barbara Gill's website for info. (I'm not affiliated)), letting it soak in for 45min. and then buffing off the excess. (Hope the colors OK on the pic :eek:) I still need to apply another coat tonight and hopefully get my house back together Tuesday. SWMBO is happy with the floor and will be extatic, exctatic, oh hell, REAL HAPPY to sleep in our own bed instead of the sleeper couch in the LR with the boys. :p

Joe

Richard McComas
11-16-2003, 5:03 PM
Here's a couple of pic's of the floor I'm refinishing. The first is a pic of how bad the floor was. I've been putting it off as this floor gets used ALL the time. It connects the Kitchen, Living room, hall to BR's & Bath. I used a Cherryhill 4 disk Floor sander http://www.u-sand.com/product_info_.html to sand the floor. It isn't very aggressive and takes longer to use it, but, I didn't have to worry about gouging the floor. The dust collection on this sander is GREAT! :D Some dust still got out but there was no thick dust cloud. You still need a mask but it actually produced less airborn dust than my ROS does. I had to start with 24grit so I could sand out the gouges that were put in when I used a drum sander 12yrs ago. I worked thru the grits to 100 grit then used a floor buffer with 120grit screen. I used a B&D Mouse for the corners and my ROS for the edging. I used Velvit Oil for the finish (See Barbara Gill's website for info. (I'm not affiliated)), letting it soak in for 45min. and then buffing off the excess. (Hope the colors OK on the pic :eek:) I still need to apply another coat tonight and hopefully get my house back together Tuesday. SWMBO is happy with the floor and will be extatic, exctatic, oh hell, REAL HAPPY to sleep in our own bed instead of the sleeper couch in the LR with the boys. :p

Joe

Hey Joe, what a difference!! Looks really good. Question, when you use a sander like that do you have to remove the finish first to Keep from guming up the paper? Nice job.

Brad Schafer
11-16-2003, 5:47 PM
hey joe - that looks really nice! glad the ROS worked for you. you said the unit wasn't as aggressive as a drum sander ... but how did you like using it? how many steps between grits, how many passes, etc.?

again, beautiful work.

b

Ace Karner
11-16-2003, 6:52 PM
Joe, I think you win the blue ribbon for before and after. Nice job, looks terrific, and should have earned ya a bunch of atta boys!

Ed Falis
11-16-2003, 6:56 PM
Beautiful job, Joe. Good inspiration because I have > 2500 sq ft of floor to refinish in this house.

- Ed

Todd Burch
11-16-2003, 9:18 PM
Man, what a difference! Bet you are kicking yourself for not doing it sooner. I would be (kicking myself - not you! :D )

Todd.

John Miliunas
11-16-2003, 10:24 PM
Quite the transformation, heh? Lookin' good. Also, thanks for reminding me; I need to get some more Velvit myself! Love the stuff! :cool:

Carl Eyman
11-16-2003, 10:36 PM
What kind of wood is the floor?

Jason Roehl
11-17-2003, 7:19 AM
Hey Joe, what a difference!! Looks really good. Question, when you use a sander like that do you have to remove the finish first to Keep from guming up the paper? Nice job.

Richard, no, you don't have to strip the finish first. Any grit more aggressive than about 40 typically won't clog up very easily from finish. I've found that the higher grits than that actually start to clog from the friction. With an edger (which Joe didn't need in this case), if you don't use a low enough grit, you can actually see the finish melting as you go.

Carl, seeing as how Joe is in the Midwest like me, and from the pics, I'd say that's more than likely a red oak floor.

Joe Tonich
11-17-2003, 8:03 AM
Thanks for the comp's. The flooring is Red Oak. I went thru 4 paper changes using the 24grit to get thru the finish and the gouges that weren't too deep. It's nice that the disks go right to the edge of the sander and that meant less edging. I just stayed with a section of the floor till all the finish was removed and then went on to another section. Some of the gouges left from the drum sander were too deep for it so I had to do these with my ROS. Once the finish was removed the rest of the sanding went pretty fast. I did 2 paper changes with the 36grit then 1 each of the 60, 80,& 100grits. The only thing I didn't like about this sander was the disks were cupped. It only used the edge of the disks. :( Since they're 6"hook & loop disks, I put two used 5" papers from my ROS on first and then the 6" sandpaper disks over them. That took out most of the cup and used most of the sandpaper instead of just the edges. :D

Joe

Brad Schafer
11-17-2003, 8:39 AM
how long did the sanding process take, Joe?

and cupped disks? surely that's not normal?? hmmm,

b

Joe Tonich
11-17-2003, 11:09 AM
how long did the sanding process take, Joe?

and cupped disks? surely that's not normal?? hmmm,

b

Brad,

It took about 4 1/2hrs with the Cherryhill. It would probably have gone faster if the whole sanding disk contacted the floor. Another two hours to edge and get the finish out of the deeper grooves.

Joe

Brad Schafer
11-17-2003, 11:39 AM
that's not bad. glad it worked out, and tnx for the details,

b

Charles McKinley
11-18-2003, 4:13 PM
I'll be looking for a Cherry Hill sander to do my parents floor in the spring.