PDA

View Full Version : Jointer or Planner: I hate to kick this off, but here goes

Richard Kagen
01-03-2007, 8:15 PM
I am very close to buying the HD Rigid Planner. While I am waiting for it to go on sale or for a HD 10% coupon I am having second thoughts. I do not have a jointer, but I do have an good (for me) table saw with an awsome blade (WWII TK).

I am looking to work with raw lumber and to resaw and then surface raw and dimensional lumber. If the planner will make the two flat faces parallel why can't I just rip a true edge on the table saw or use my router table with a straight bit and shims.

I have a portable DC that I move machine to machine that should take care of the planer mess.

Thoughts?

Jim Becker
01-03-2007, 8:18 PM
Richard, a planer can be used handily without a jointer, but a jointer isn't much use (for face jointing boards FLAT) without a planer. For this reason, if you can't buy both, buy the planer first. You can always build a sled to help with flattening boards that are slightly "out" before planing to thickness. Just avoid lumber that's clearly flawed until you have a jointer. IMHO, of course.

Paul Douglass
01-03-2007, 8:52 PM
I bought a planner, than months later I bought a jointer.I use the jointer a whole lot more than the planner. The main reason is probably because I have been working on small projects. I think it depends on what your build most. Sure nice to have both though.