PDA

View Full Version : Work Bench

Jerry Thompson
01-03-2007, 8:00 PM
Does anyone know about the Jacobs work bench that "The Kit Guy" sells? I need a bench but I have no desire to build one.

Charles McKinley
01-07-2007, 4:50 PM
The one is a Sjoberg from Rockler The other looks like a cheap little bench my brother picked up at a local box store going out of business sale. I would go to the local box stores and see if they have something like it. For $150 buy a Kreg kit some of the 2X4 screws and a couple of sheets of MDF and have a nicer bench for less $$$. The one pictured will have to be attached to the wall as it is light and small.

Charles McKinley
01-07-2007, 4:55 PM
Do you have a link to the bench you want? I can't find the bench you specifically mention on his site.

Richard Keller
01-07-2007, 5:08 PM
The one is a Sjoberg from Rockler The other looks like a cheap little bench my brother picked up at a local box store going out of business sale. I would go to the local box stores and see if they have something like it. For $150 buy a Kreg kit some of the 2X4 screws and a couple of sheets of MDF and have a nicer bench for less $$$. The one pictured will have to be attached to the wall as it is light and small.

A second to that. I got two 2" thick maple tops a couple of years ago - one 5 feet long, the other 9 feet long. A local high school was throwing them out. An hour with the belt sander got rid of the grafiti (sp?) and a few sheets of white melamine and a pocket hole jig later, I have a nice bench. Store bought benches may be quick, but you never get exactly what you want. Mine has a nice bank of drawers to suit me.

Richard.

Jerry Thompson
01-07-2007, 8:18 PM
http://www.kitguy.com/framepage_np.asp?vendor=Woodirect&referer=cat_workbenches_WOODIRECTCOM.asp&url=http://www.woodirect.com&category=clocks

Charles McKinley
01-08-2007, 3:57 PM
$329 seem like a lot of money to me for that bench.

From the site:
The Jacobsen workbench is built entirely of durable, solid hardwood, hot-glued under high pressure for maximum durability. It's quality constructed with heavy-duty hardware throughout.

We offer two sizes, both with ample bench-top workspace. The Standard Workbench has more than 7 square feet of workspace (53-1/2" x 19-2/3") and comes with a 7-inch quick-release front vise. The Large Workbench has over 10 square feet of workspace (66" x 21") and comes with a 9-inch quick-release front vise. Both workbenches include the built-in tail vise.

The top is 1 1/8" and the apron is 2 3/4.

Me again, I stand by my statement that you can make a nicer bench for less money in probably the same amount of time it would take to do the "Some assembly required." for this bench.

It doesn't have to be pretty just functional.

I'll post some pics of my bench when I can get to the camera.

Charles McKinley
01-09-2007, 8:35 PM
Here are some pictures of my bench.

The top is a liminated beam about 1 9/16 thick x 48 x 18 that I leveld by planing with a router. The leg vise is made with a 2x4 and 1/2" X 6" carraige bolts and nuts. I will swap this out with a piece of Oak shortly to ge a little more reach and maybe longer bolts.

I tried to cantaliever the vice. no where near enough bench here to do that.:o

It is attached to the wall, not pretty but very solid. It took an afternoon to put togeather. I was given the beam from a carpenter it was a drop from a house they were working on. Even buying a decent vice you should be able to make a nicer bench for 1/2 the money.