PDA

View Full Version : New shop exhaust fan ?'s

Neville Stewart
01-03-2007, 6:44 PM
I got a great deal on an old exhaust/whole house fan ( not sure which) but I notice the motor can be reversed and I planned on using it to remove airborne dust and maybe heat if I could. Would reversing the motor to expel and mounting the louvres on the outside to open outward work or is that too simple. Louvres will be high on wall under eaves. TIA Neville

glenn bradley
01-03-2007, 6:59 PM
I have a gable fan in the garage . . .er shop for just that purpose and it acts as you describe your idea. In SoCal, the shop gets pretty hot most of the year. In the brutal winters (read a low of 50* of and on for about 80 days) I power it down and plug the opening with a moving pad to retain the heat. Mine is mounted high as heat rises but I use an ambient cleaner for the dust hung mid-shop at about 7 feet.

Bob Spare
01-03-2007, 7:08 PM
Until this post forgot I got a brand new one still in the box in my garage...er...shop, wonder if one could make a cyclone dust collector out of it, using the fan and motor?

Jim Becker
01-03-2007, 7:31 PM
Until this post forgot I got a brand new one still in the box in my garage...er...shop, wonder if one could make a cyclone dust collector out of it, using the fan and motor?

No. Not the right kind of fan.