PDA

View Full Version : Powermatic 64 repair parts purchase?

wayne ateser
01-03-2007, 6:01 PM
Where can purchase online or other, an arbor and bearings for a Powermatic 64 saw?

I checked the Powermatic (Jet) site and found zip when using the part numbers provided in the 64 manual or even when trying to search my key word. I any case their results take you to the entire product, eg. cabinet saw, and not repair parts.

any tips appreciated.
thanks!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-03-2007, 6:04 PM
Wayne.....You might try calling their telephone number. I needed parts for a Jet lathe. They didn't show parts for it on their website but when I called them, they were able to find and ship the parts. I thought their prices were reasonable too!

Jake Helmboldt
01-03-2007, 6:04 PM
I would call them directly and see if they will sell directly. Or find a local dealer to order through. Keep us posted on what transpires. I own a 64A myself and have not been impressed with PM's customer service. Hopefully you will fare better. (OK, Ken is a faster typer than I)

BTW, what went wrong with the OEM parts? I hope you got good mileage out of them.

Jake

Kent Fitzgerald
01-03-2007, 6:24 PM
Bearings are generic items. You should be able to read a number off them (probably 6203RS or something like that) and order replacements from any supplier.

If you really need to replace the arbor (why?), give WMH Tools a call. While you've got them on the line, mention that their parts website is completely useless.

wayne ateser
01-03-2007, 7:30 PM
I would call them directly and see if they will sell directly. Or find a local dealer to order through. Keep us posted on what transpires. I own a 64A myself and have not been impressed with PM's customer service. Hopefully you will fare better. (OK, Ken is a faster typer than I)

BTW, what went wrong with the OEM parts? I hope you got good mileage out of them.

Jake

Well I have a wobble in the blade. I first noticed when I put a wobble dado on and the saw shook badly. I have used this same wobble dado for a long time and it was always smooth running. When inspecting the wobble dado I did not find anything to suggest it was out of balance. Then I noticed a slight wobble in a 10" blade also. Same wobble on several blades and even a new blade. Im still going to inspect more closely for problems with stabalizing washer, gum or burr on shaft or other but wanted to be prepared to replace arbor bearings and arbor if necessary.

The saw still cuts fine. If I hadnt seen the blade wobble I wouldnt be concerned. And I am using a stacked dado now as the wobbly dado wont work now. So I can finish my current project (8' desk) before I jump in and repair the wobble but I just wanted to be prepared, even to point of buying arbor and bearings if they were not too expensive.

Ill call Powermatic about the parts.
thanks for the tips.

Brad Olson
01-03-2007, 11:05 PM
Don't buy the bearings from Powermatic. Get the bearing number and call up a bearing supply company for them. IIRC, the bearing number is in the instruction manual. Not only will they be cheaper buy you will ensure you get the proper grade of bearing and a name brand.

If the bearing company is local they may even press them in your arbor for you.

If not I buy bearings from McMaster and they ship so fast I usually get them the next day.

My guess is that your bearings are wearing and your arbor is fine. I would be really suprised if the arbor was bent.

wayne ateser
01-04-2007, 12:23 PM
I found the problem last night.The wobbly dado has a sleeve insert for the 5/8 arbor. The sleeve fell out somewhere along the line and now it has a very loose fit on the shaft hence the saw shaking.
Luckily I had an old Sears table saw shaper set that also had a sleeve and when I inserted into the wobbly it runs nice and smooth now.
I now think the arbor wobble I noticed when using the 10" blades has always been there. The saw arbor itself is tight without any play and more then likely the runout I see it close to the recommended tolerance, as I have never notices an issue with cutting.
This is my fault for getting organized and setting up a blade storage system with dowels. More then likely it placing the wobbly dado on the dowel that caused the sleeve to slip out and then get swept up and put in the garbage.
So im good to go.

The bearing info you gave me is excellent and I will put in my file as Im sure someday Ill need to replace these or others bearings.

Thanks again for all the help.