PDA

View Full Version : Grizzly 1023 dust collection

Jay Goddard
02-26-2003, 5:02 PM
I'm in the market for a cabinet saw and am leaning toward the Grizzly 1023sl. However, the cabinet saw review in the April 03 Woodworkers Journal states that the Unisaw had the best dust collection of the bunch (not counting Euro saws). It stated that for the other saws "the collector was only able to remove the sawdust that was within a few inches fo the outlet, and it left a mounting pile inside the cabinet that blew around one the saw was turned on."

For you Griz 1023 owners, what has your personal experience been with the dust collection on this saw? Was this reviewer just using an undersized dust collector ("a 1 HP two-stage" collector)?

In your experience, does the zero-clearance throat plate help dust collection or hurt it?

Kirk (KC) Constable
02-26-2003, 5:22 PM
We've given up trying to use the dust collector on the 1023 at the mesquite outfit...but I've also about given up on my Xacta saw.

KC

Robert Henderson
02-26-2003, 5:28 PM
Originally posted by Jay Goddard
"the collector was only able to remove the sawdust that was within a few inches fo the outlet, and it left a mounting pile inside the cabinet that blew around one the saw was turned on."

Jay,

I have the 1023SL and use a Delta Portable Dust Collector (550 CFM) and have not had the problem cited in your post.

Robert

Paul Kunkel
02-26-2003, 7:45 PM
:) I've had my 1023 for 11 yrs. It's hooked to an Oneida 1 1/2 hp cyclone and even with another gate open I don't get any buildup. I did fabricate a sloping floor in the base to facilatate the flow towards the dust port and seal the area around the miter slot with a piece of magnetic sign material.

Terry Hatfield
02-26-2003, 10:33 PM
The newer 1023's already have the sloping shelf on the inside. I opened up the dust port to 6" and it works much better. I also sealed a bit around the motor cover with some foam weatherstripping from Lowe's. I used duct tape to seal the dust shelf to the inside of the cabinet which really helped. The overarm guard helps greatly also , but you will have to have a good collector to run both of them.

Terry