PDA

View Full Version : Contractor Saws???

John Terefenko
01-03-2007, 5:52 PM
For the bang for your buck what would be considered a great buy of a contractor saw these days, and why??? I have not seen any of the latest reviews.

Sean Hamblett
01-03-2007, 7:37 PM
I am currently looking at the Delta 36-979 at Lowes http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=237665-32764-36-979&lpage=none
I have heard some here say that it works well, add the T2 Fence for $150 and it is just a hair under $600. I have looked at other saws, including some hybrids and have come prety close to finalizing on purchasing this one. It will be a matter of finding time to get to Lowes...

Richard Kagen
01-03-2007, 7:46 PM
Rockler. Not sure if the deal is still on. worth a call if you have a Rockler close by. I am very happy with the saw, nothing exotic, but fine by me and a huge step up.

Delta 36-682 10" Contractor's Table Saw w/1 CI Wing and 30" Biesemeyer Fence and Tableboard

Here is a picture of mine.
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=46990

James Reichman
01-03-2007, 7:48 PM
Check amazon.com. I was able to get me Hybrid w/ the beismeyer fence and cast iron wings. For 699 with free shipping last march. You have to check it daily some of there deals are only for a day!Pick the saw you want and do not put it in your cart until you see that super deal. But you gotta check it daily.

goodluck

scott spencer
01-03-2007, 7:51 PM
John - Have you considered adding hybrids to your search? They offer similar power, capability, and overlap in price, but also have some advantages in DC, space consumption, stability, and have a shorter drive belt because of the inboard motor. The only advantage to the outboard motor on a contractor saw is accessibility if you need to remove it often.

You'll see sale prices on both contractor and hybrid saws drop near $400, and just about any of them are capable of good performance with the right blade. Higher prices tend to get solid cast wings, better fences, and more features. Once the prices get close to $1K, IMHO it's prudent to consider going with a full 3hp cabinet saw if 220v is available.

Sean Hamblett
01-03-2007, 8:01 PM
Richard,

Where did you see the deal on the Delta at Rockler, the store proper or the web site? Thanks!

Sean

Richard Kagen
01-03-2007, 8:09 PM
I walked into the store in Danvers, MA and bought it. They had 3 in stock at the time. I have since been to Cambridge MA store (they are equally inconvient for me) and they also had it.

It may have gone off sale in December, but Rockler has been excellent to work with for me. I would ask the manager.

glenn bradley
01-03-2007, 8:13 PM
Watch for sales. My 22124 was pretty darn reasonable on sale/craftsman club/free shipping, etc. I've seen the Delta hybrid going for a few hundred off right before xmas. I would definitely dedicate some time to on line research every night for awhile if I could save 3-4 hundred dollars and you can.

Now, if you're after a contractor's saw for a specific reason, the same applies. Rockler just had the Delta for a few hundred off. A few folks here run the Ridgid 3650 and are very happy with it.

Let's not forget all those nearly new contractor saws out there that folks who are on the upgrade path need to get rid of. When shopping used, do your homework and have a selection of brands and models that you're interested in. That way when one comes by, you're ready to pounce.

Sean Hamblett
01-03-2007, 8:28 PM
Thanks Richard, I will have to get over to the Salem NH store some time and check them out.

Mike Holbrook
01-03-2007, 10:01 PM
I bought the General Contractors saw about a year ago. After some trouble with set up, I have been very happy with mine. It has received some great reviews:

feed://rss.epinions.com/rss/linkin_id-8003929/product-107485

If you get one do not believe the instructions for installling the side rails though, they were not correct for some time and I would not be surprised if they were still for a different model than ships here to the states.

Joe Mioux
01-03-2007, 10:32 PM
Most imported cs's are about the same.

Look for cast iron wings and the largest motor.

Currently, I believe that the General Internationl contractor saw has both. Cast iron wings and a 2hp motor.

Keep an eye out for used ones. This is a very good saw. Looking down on it from above looks just like any cabinet saw. All flat cast iron tops look alike.

It's kind of like pool tables.... the balls don't know whether they are rolling acroos one inch Italian booked matched slate or 3/4 inch particle board.

Flat is flat. Square is square. Straight is straight but 2 hp v 1 hp or 1.5 hp or 3 hp is not the same.

joe

Mike Holbrook
01-03-2007, 10:51 PM
Joe makes two good points.

Another factor most people feel is a major deal is the fence. General manufactured Biesemers fences before Delta bought them. Apparently General retained the rights to make the fences and still do. Many of the Biesemer clones are anything but clones, General's is the original. My General International Contractor saw came with a General (with the Canadian maple leaf) fence and I assume they still ship that way.

john dennis
01-03-2007, 11:06 PM
I'm one of those who bought the Ridgid 3650 and I'm loving it. Several of the features that sold me were:
1- single solid piece, cast iron trunion
2- cast iron wings
3- 1 1/2 hp TEFC
4- steel pulleys with auto type belt
5- easy-lift roller system, especially useful in small shops and works exceptionally well.

Setup took me about six hours. I did have to adjust the heel ever so slightly (probably not really necessary). Passed the "nickel test" first time I started her up.

Good luck in your search.

Sean Hamblett
01-03-2007, 11:10 PM
Are you using the fence that came with it or did you use an aftermarket fence?

Thanks!

Ed Blough
01-04-2007, 11:41 AM
For the bang for your buck what would be considered a great buy of a contractor saw these days, and why??? I have not seen any of the latest reviews.

I was visiting the in laws in South Carolina over the holidays and the Lowes there has the Delta 36-979 with T2 fence with a $25 gift card plus a 10% rebate plus a Porter Cable ROS rebate. It you choose the Unifence or Beismeyer fence they have two router rebates.

The saw is priced at $599 with T2 figuring the 10%, knocks it down to $549, the sander is retail value of $60 plus the $25 gift card to buy lumber or supplies.

The saw has a built in mobile base, two cast iron wings and left tilt. Figuring all the after market options that are made for Delta I don't see how you can go to far wrong.

Homer Faucett
01-04-2007, 1:52 PM
I originally thought that CI extensions were important, but I bought the Delta 36-675 when it went on clearance a few years ago because I could not beat the price. The 36-675 has two stamped steel wings, but is otherwise pretty close to the new 36-979 (which has 2 CI wings, built-in mobile base, and built-in dust collection port as the main differences I saw). Both have the T2 fence, which I like a lot.

I have to say that I now feel that CI extensions are not terribly important, at least to me. Horsepower (2hp would be nice, but 1.5 hp has been good enough for everything I need with a good thin kerf blade) and a good fence for a good price are the main features that I would look for. If it's a well known name brand, the rest of the features are probably going to be suitable for what you want to do.

Further, for any contractor saw, I would recommend getting a link belt to reduce vibration and (as for any saw) a good blade (Leitz, Forrest WWII, Freud LU-84). Whatever your budget is, knock $100 off and buy these two items with that $100, and get Jim Tolpin's Tablesaw Magic.

If my choice was between getting the blade and link belt or the extra CI wings, the blade and link belt would win out every time. At 300+ lbs, my saw with stamped wings isn't going anywhere, and it still passes the nickel test. I have since had the opportunity to add CI extensions, but felt the money would be better spent elsewhere.