PDA

View Full Version : Plumbing ?

Tyler Howell
01-03-2007, 3:49 PM
Returning one more time to dip into this vast SMC well of knowledge:cool: .
I was cruising my local green varity borg, looking for ideas on a plumbing problem.I saw for the first time (I'm a copper man from way back but it is getting cost prohibitive) CPVC piping?
The BORG lady was clueless
Googled it and got the 411 on how and why it's made.
Can they be interchanged with pvc parts?? I see they offer multi purpose cements for PVC, CPVC, &ABS
Just curious I like the fit an finish better on the CPVC parts
As always
Thanks
TJH

Steve Clardy
01-03-2007, 9:40 PM
If I remember, PVC is for cold water.
CPVC is for hot water.
Both are different sizes. Fittings will not cross from one to the other.

Jim Becker
01-03-2007, 10:10 PM
I believe that Steve is correct. CPVC has specific fittings and specific uses that are different than the PVC (or ABS) that is used for waste purposes. In some areas, it's common for hot/cold water supplies rather than copper. Personally, I'd go with PEX at this point for new work, however...and am in our addition.

Thomas Prondzinski
01-03-2007, 10:36 PM
Tyler
I've got cpvc in my house,used for hot and cold will stand up to the hot temps.pvc will not been in for at least 10 years no problems. primed joints and used cpvc glue I think (orange color). I think pex is the choice of today,crimp tool is about 100 bucks.I've seen pex compression connectors too.

Tom

Jason Roehl
01-04-2007, 8:38 AM
Tyler, all I know is that there have been some pretty major problems in the past with CPVC and PVC plumbing, as it gets very brittle over time. Not as dangerous to life and limb when used with water as it is with compressed air, but it can really trash a house if it cracks and leaks (I believe there were some class-action lawsuits). That's why there's a lot of buzz about PEX tubing these days--stays flexible for a LONG time, plus you don't need many fittings (no elbows). There are several crimping systems, so you'll want to pick one and go with it, or you could spring for the $300 expansion tool--it stretches the end of the PEX, then you slip in a fitting, and the PEX relaxes for an extremely tight fit.

Jim Becker
01-04-2007, 9:52 AM
Jason, as far as I know, the class action stuff wasn't about CPVC, but about poly-b-something, especially in mobile homes.

Tyler Howell
01-04-2007, 10:56 AM
Thanks guys,
I'll be doing pex for the new head:cool: .
Just curious about this stuff. Never really used it accept for furniture. I have to make a quick repair on the new house (No building codes) And CPVC caught my eye.

Al Willits
01-04-2007, 11:53 AM
Maybe this is the recall your thinking of?
""""""
Vent pipes subject to this recall program can be identified as follows: the vent pipes are plastic; the vent pipes are colored gray or black; and the vent pipes have the names "Plexvent, "Plexvent II" or "Ultravent" stamped on the vent pipe or printed on stickers placed on pieces used to connect the vent pipes together. Consumers should now check the location of these vent pipes. For furnaces, only HI'PV systems that have vent pipes that go through the sidewalls of structures (horizontal systems) are subject to this program.
"""""

Al

Jim Becker
01-04-2007, 1:33 PM
Al, that's different. What I was refering to was a grey color tubing that was used in a lot of manufactured housing (as well as some regular housing) that tended to fail big-time. It was taken off the market and there was litigation.

Don Bergren
01-04-2007, 2:27 PM
In 1993 we removed the deteriorating copper pipe in our house and replaced it with CPVC. We have had no problems since then. I think that CPVC is a good alternative to copper and will work great when installed properly.

If I were doing it today I would go with PEX. I feel that PEX is a much better product, plus it is so much easier to work with. I like the idea of PEX in new construction, and in my mind it's the only way to go when renovating an existing structure.

Jim Cook
01-04-2007, 3:28 PM
I had a sink in the basement hooked up with CPVC for at least 15 years. A few weeks ago, the water hammer from the washing machine filling up just busted a joint loose. I was there at the time. I have replaced the water hammer thing, I guess the rubber leaked and was not doing it's thing. I will fix the sink with copper, only about 10 feet. Testing the other joints of the CPVC, thet were all brittle. Just my experience with the stuff.

Jason Roehl
01-04-2007, 7:43 PM
That sounds like what little I can remember through the fog of years, Jim (B.). I still don't like PVC for water. ;)