PDA

View Full Version : Does internation building code specify bedroom door width?

Brian Elfert
01-03-2007, 3:18 PM
Does the IBC specify a minimum door width for bedroom doors?

The builder who built my house 5 years ago roughed in two bedrooms and a bath that are now being finished. Only one of four door roughins matchs the original blueprint. I talked to the original builder and he says code requires 2'-8" doors, but the local building inspector says no code requriement.

I want the builder to fix it, but I may have to do it myself and I want it done right.

Brian Elfert

Roger Everett
01-03-2007, 3:48 PM
Brian:
I just checked in a 2000 IRC book ( 2000 was used till, I believe 2004), and couldn't find anything about it. However when I designed and built my house in 2000 ( it may be a local code thing ), I was required to have atleast 1 bathroom with a 2'-8" door, for handicap access. This is irregardless of whether anyone in the house was hanicaped. It is probably covered under an ADA code.
HTH
Roger

Lars Thomas
01-03-2007, 10:47 PM
I would ask the builder to site the code in question . . . having said that, it is probably not worth the energy to chase down a builder after five years. The energy you take to do it yourself will be less. Lars

Cecil Arnold
01-04-2007, 12:30 AM
IIRC the only requirement for doors is a 3'0 entry door, everything else is local, however anyone who would put a 2'0 in anything other than a small closet or utility area should not call himself a builder.

Brian Elfert
01-04-2007, 7:37 PM
IIRC the only requirement for doors is a 3'0 entry door, everything else is local, however anyone who would put a 2'0 in anything other than a small closet or utility area should not call himself a builder.

The guy who built the house also designed it. The blueprints show the correct sizes, but the sub contractor carpenters built the walls wrong. The builder should have checked, but he didn't.

Brian Elfert