PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone note the difference between speed in 30 watts to 45 watts

Karin Voorhis
01-03-2007, 1:55 PM
Hey all,

I am in need of figureing out the time savings in higher wattage machines. If I am too laser something on my 30 watt that takes say 30 minutes how much time will be saved with say a 45 watt or higher laser?

Anyway to calculate this information?

Nice to talk laser since I have been playing with wood working for the week adn negelcting my laser for the last week.

Roy Barrow
01-03-2007, 2:32 PM
In my experience, one needs to double the laser power to make a real difference in production speed...depending on the type of job...I am speaking of raster engraving to a given depth.
The extra power MAY allow you to vector cut a little faster (depending on material).
If you are running 8 hours + per day with the machine already, the ROI could be justifiable...but in this case, I would just add another machine...<G>

Joe Pelonio
01-03-2007, 4:01 PM
Maybe you can take this and do some kind of mathematical extrapolation:

On my 45 watt Epilog, I used to cut 1/4" acrylic at speed 6, that since new. After a new tube I can now cut it at speed 8, so it's apparent that the new tube is a little over 45 watts. If we assume that it's say, 48 watts, you can run a job with the top open, so it doesn't actually cut, and see the difference in run time between speeds 6 and 8. Then project that time difference if rather than 45 to 48 watts (6%) it was 30 - 45 watts (33%)

Your best solution though is to send a file and ask a cooperative creeker with the higher power to cut it for you and see how long it takes on their machine compared to yours.

Kevin Huffman
01-03-2007, 4:43 PM
Hello Karin,

If you are engraving most of the time, the only way it would make it faster is if your speed is below 100%.

If your engraving speed is 100% and your power is 80%, if you upgraded to the 45w you would be able to run the same job at 100% speed and 50-60% power. No gain there. Same speed just less % needed because you have more power.

If your engraving speed is 60% and your power was 100%, if you upgraded to a 45w you would be able to run the same job at 65-75% speed and 100% power. There would be a gain but probably not enough to justify the amount spent on the upgrade. You still have to get through the original amount, the extra 15watt's won't give you that much more depth once it passes all the way through that.

If you are primarily cutting then yes, you would be able to go faster but usually not fast enough to justify the cost of the upgrades.

Karin Voorhis
01-04-2007, 7:17 AM
Thanks everyone. although I did not the magic answer I wanted. (WHY YES IT WILL SAVE YOU 20 MINUTES!!!!!!!!!) LOL I did the educated answer thank you all so very much this was more help then I can say!!!!!!!!!

Mike Null
01-04-2007, 8:33 AM
Karin:

The other factor which enters into the equation is speed of the machine. Some machines are at 100% speed but do only 40 ips while others operate at 140 ips at 100% speed.

Speed of the machines being equal a 45 watt machine would theoretically do a job in one third less time than a 30 watt machine. But if you're running at 100% speed on the 30 watt machine you would gain nothing by going to a 45 watt in this instance.

Manufacturers will tell you that no two machines are alike. Power can vary by 10 watts or more from the stated spec. Usually it's higher.

Karin Voorhis
01-04-2007, 9:03 PM
Thanks Mike that makes sense and helps so much!!!:rolleyes: