PDA

View Full Version : Safety Glasses or Shield?

Jeff Weight
01-03-2007, 1:31 AM
I wear eye glasses, as my vision isn't what it once was. Lately I've been wearing my standard wire rim glasses with polycarbonate lens's when operating machines. I've considered buying prescription safety glasses, but I'd only wear them while woodworking. Since I already buy prescription polarized sunglass to wear while fishing, I can't justify the extra expense for safety glasses.

I'd like to know if those of you who wear glasses, just wear your normal prescription glasses while woodworking, or do you spend the extra money and buy prescription safety glasses, or do you wear a safety shield with your regular glasses?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-03-2007, 1:44 AM
Jeff........I only wear prescription safety glasses. My employer requires we wear safety glasses at work. I wear a face shield when routing and a Trend Airshield (comibination face shield and respirator) when turning or sanding.

Lowell Kinzer
01-03-2007, 2:28 AM
I wear saftey glasses over my prescription eye glasses whenever I use power tools. I add a face shield when I chisel, cut or grind materials like metal, stucco, etc., to keep flying bits from hitting my face. A leather apron also adds some protection. And hearing protection, of course. ;)

Finding safety glasses that fit well over my eyeglasses has been hit-or-miss over the years. Mostly misses. Poor comfort and fit are the most common characteristics of what I could find locally.

I've been using Uvex's Ultra-Spec OTG 2001 saftey eyewear since I found them three years ago. The adjustable temple pieces are soft and flexible, so they don't cut into my ears. And once adjusted, the temple pieces stay where I set them so I don't have to fiddle with them each time I put them on.

They meet or exceed ANSI Z87.1 and CSA Z94.3 standards. The product page is at http://www.uvex.com/products/products2.asp?id=35 if you'd like a look at them.

I occasionally add one or two to my on-line tool orders. I like to keep spares on hand for visitors and for replacing those I've managed to damage.

Cheers,

Lowell

Rob Millard
01-03-2007, 5:40 AM
Jeff,
I use to work with just my regular glasses. Then I went to inexpensive over the glasses safety glasses, but these weren’t the best as far as visual clarity was concerned. I now use a full face shield and feel uncomfortable without it. I also recently bought a pair of Eye Armor safety glasses that fit over my glasses; they been very comfortable, and clear but I still prefer the face shield.

Rob Millard

Nick Clayton
01-03-2007, 7:01 AM
I wear prescription safety glasses or contacts with regular safety glasses; I have to wear them in the lab at work so deciding was not an issue. It is really a matter of having the side shields and a large enough area to cover you're entire eye; most of today’s glasses are too small to require adequate protection. I personally find that safety glasses that fit over regular glasses are clumsy and large.
One thing to remember is you only have two eyes and is a couple hundred dollars for safety glasses worth the possibility of keeping your eyesight They're also great for yard work; have you ever seen what a string trimmer can throw back at you.....

Cheers,
Nick

Chris Barton
01-03-2007, 7:55 AM
This is a easy question, once you have been hit in the face by something in the shop. I wear a full face sheild anytime I am using a powertool other than a drill or plate jointer.

Paul Kinneberg
01-03-2007, 8:28 AM
I currently use eye armor over my eye glasses these are the best I have found at $25. However I still do not like them as much as just my regular glasses so I ordered a pair of prescription saftey glasses last week that should be here soon. They were expensive but no more than any of the power tools in my shop and I really don't feel eye glasses give the protection I feel I need. For face shield tasks I use a Uvex face shield. What ever you decide please be careful eyes to my knowledge cannot be replaced!!

Jim Becker
01-03-2007, 9:17 AM
When I was wearing prescription eye wear (prior to LASIK), I wore safety glasses over my regular eye wear...'never got around to buying prescription safety glasses. That would be different today...I'd invest in the prescription safety glasses for use in the shop and for other tasks around the property where I would normally don non-prescription safety eye wear.

Today, I wear safety glasses with "cheater" lenses from the second I step in the shop to the second I'm done working. I also wear them for outdoor work where there is inherent danger to eyesight. (landscaping work, construction, etc) When I am at the lathe for all but final finishing work, I also don a full face shield (Trend) over and above the safety glasses. (one should always wear safety glasses under a full face shield for full protection)

IMHO, make the investment in the prescription safety glasses. You can order them from Lenscrafters (AAA or AARP discount is good!) or Sam's Club or wherever to keep the cost down...you just need a copy of your prescription and that shouldn't be a problem to get from your normal provider.

Marcus Carr
01-03-2007, 9:26 AM
Wear a face shield. I used to wear just safetly glasses until a baseball bat size piece of wood exploded off my lathe and hit me in the jaw. I had to tell everyone that commented on my fat lip that my wife beats me...which is less embarrassing than misusing a power tool =]

You can also find face shields that have ear muffs attached. I think they are generally sold to loggers. That will be my next face shield purchase.

Marcus

Aaron Beaver
01-03-2007, 9:27 AM
I currently use eye armor over my eye glasses these are the best I have found at $25. However I still do not like them as much as just my regular glasses so I ordered a pair of prescription saftey glasses last week that should be here soon.

I have been looking at those Eye Armor and trying to see if I can find a local dealer to test some out. What didn't you like about them?

I have been looking at rxsafety (or something like that) on the net where you can order the frames first to see if you like them, then they will pay to have you send them back and do your prescription.

Jim Becker
01-03-2007, 9:44 AM
I was just looking at the RX-Safety (http://www.rx-safety.com/) site and am impressed with the selection available. There is also a "coupon" available from safetyglassesusa.com that provides 25% off. What's even better, I think that someone like myself can order "cheater" setups (including what they call "executive" bifocal with the cheater all the way across the bottom of the lens as I prefer and very hard to find "off the shelf") pretty easily. There are only two measurements to take in MM and the rest is easy to figure out. If you have a prescription "in hand", you can just type in the numbers when you order.

Of course, I don't know how the pricing compares to ordering from other sources, but it's at least nice to know that there are online options if that is what you prefer.

Randal Stevenson
01-03-2007, 11:45 AM
As my mother works for an eye doctor, I tend to get a discount (in house glasses). They DON'T carry safety frames :( , but I took in a sample from a friend who works for Ford, and I can get accessory side shields (lens are already polycarbonate). However, depending on how often your prescription changes, I still use a $5 (bought several on sale) face shield. Cheaper then glasses, quicker to replace, and act as a spacer to slow down any projectiles that penetrate the first layer (I have seen the results of nails going THROUGH safety glasses). Another benefit, they don't fog up like glasses over the glasses.

Ernie Hobbs
01-03-2007, 12:23 PM
I usually wear my contacts and regular safety glasses when doing most things. If I'm on the lathe or something else that is more likely to hurl something at my face, I wear a face shield. If I am planning to do a lot of sanding or spraying, I usually just wear my prescription glasses, since the dust will irritate my eyes with contacts.

Steven Wilson
01-03-2007, 1:14 PM
I wear perscription safety glasses in the shop. I wear transition lensens normally but for shop glasses I go with a single perscription lense (I don't like a bifocal line in my shop glasses) which is fairly inexpensive. You can add various diopter boosters and trim them to fit (which works well for reading while in the shop - get them from sporting goods stores) or just use flip down magnifiyers. As for shields, you still need to wear your safety glasses under them. Shooting and fly fishing lenses won't work.

Ron Jones near Indy
01-03-2007, 1:53 PM
I have prescription safety glasses from Sam's club. They were less than half of what my ophthalmologist's price was. I took in the prescription and picked up the glasses a few days later. I wear them at all time in the shop when using power or hand tools, finishing, mowing and using the string trimmer. I also use a face shield when I feel it wise.

The safety glasses are comfortable and allow excellent vision. I recommend them to all who wear glasses.

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-03-2007, 1:57 PM
for me it's just a question of how fast and furious the chips are flying and whether I am sick of trying to squint and see.

Al Willits
01-03-2007, 2:07 PM
Had a good pair of shooting glasses, but left them at a range one day and they disappeared.
Now I use the company provided safety glasses and when I remember, the full face shield.

Al...who should remember more...

Fred Krueger
01-03-2007, 2:16 PM
[quote=Jeff Weight] I can't justify the extra expense for safety glasses. quote]

I don't think I would have said that. :)

Marcus Carr
01-03-2007, 2:48 PM
Jeff,

I hope you at least pick up a cheap pair of safety goggles to go over your glasses or a face shield while you are deciding what to do. I would hate to hear about a vision disabling accident, which would cost many many times the cost of goggles in money, time and suffering.

Marcus

glenn bradley
01-03-2007, 3:00 PM
My eyeball is well worth the cost of Rx safety glasses. Currently however I wear goggles over my glasses. thanks for the post. Time for me to take my own advice.

Paul Kinneberg
01-03-2007, 4:35 PM
"I have been looking at those Eye Armor and trying to see if I can find a local dealer to test some out. What didn't you like about them?

I have been looking at rxsafety (or something like that) on the net where you can order the frames first to see if you like them, then they will pay to have you send them back and do your prescription."

Aaron, I think for $25 they are great! my complaint is to Jim's point you are looking through an addtional lens and also after a long day in the shop my ears would get sore from the two frames. Again i've tried several different things and these are very good I just decided with all the money I have put into building the shop and upgrading my tools I could afford to buy prescription saftey glasses.

Don Bullock
01-03-2007, 5:29 PM
I currently use eye armor over my eye glasses these are the best I have found at $25... What ever you decide please be careful eyes to my knowledge cannot be replaced!!

I bought the Eye Armor glasses after reading the article, "A New Look at Eye Protection," in the December 2006 Fine WoodWorking. They fit well over my glasses. The $25 was an excellent price considering the quality. If I had a lathe I would definately wear a face shield. I would suggest that you read the article. It's very well written. Whatever you do, don't depend on your regular glasses.

Jeff Weight
01-03-2007, 9:55 PM
[quote=Jeff Weight] I can't justify the extra expense for safety glasses. quote]

I don't think I would have said that. :)

Yeah, you're right, that wasn't a good thing to say. I just don't know that I'd buy prescription safety glasses. I'd probably get eye armor or a face safety shield first. That's what I was trying to express. Thanks for helping correct me. :o

Aaron Beaver
01-04-2007, 7:07 AM
"I have been looking at those Eye Armor and trying to see if I can find a local dealer to test some out. What didn't you like about them?

I have been looking at rxsafety (or something like that) on the net where you can order the frames first to see if you like them, then they will pay to have you send them back and do your prescription."

Aaron, I think for $25 they are great! my complaint is to Jim's point you are looking through an addtional lens and also after a long day in the shop my ears would get sore from the two frames. Again i've tried several different things and these are very good I just decided with all the money I have put into building the shop and upgrading my tools I could afford to buy prescription saftey glasses.

Thanks I was wondering, I will probably look into the RxSafety website a little more, they seem to be reasonably priced.

Don Bullock
01-04-2007, 10:26 AM
I have prescription safety glasses from Sam's club. ...

For those of us who need glasses for distance this isn't an option. The RxSafety website sounds like a good place to explore.

I have been looking at those Eye Armor and trying to see if I can find a local dealer to test some out. What didn't you like about them?

I would suggest that you contact one of the sellers and see if they will send you a pair to try out. Mine fit very well and I don't find that the extra weight bothers me at all. That's something that I'm surprised about. I must add, however, that I don't work in the shop for long hours most of the time.

Laurie Brown
01-04-2007, 10:28 AM
I wear goggle-style safety glasses over the top of my prescription glasses. Even with those on I still get eyes full of dust on occasion. I would not work with power tools with just my glasses on.

Aaron Beaver
01-04-2007, 3:36 PM
I bought the Eye Armor glasses after reading the article, "A New Look at Eye Protection," in the December 2006 Fine WoodWorking. They fit well over my glasses. The $25 was an excellent price considering the quality. If I had a lathe I would definately wear a face shield. I would suggest that you read the article. It's very well written. Whatever you do, don't depend on your regular glasses.

Any problems with the Eye Armor ear pieces not fitting well with your regular glasses?

Don Bullock
01-07-2007, 9:59 PM
Any problems with the Eye Armor ear pieces not fitting well with your regular glasses?

No, but I have some on the new rimless glasses. The arms are very thin and don't have hinges. See below:

http://www-assets.eyeglasses.com/dyn/frame_small/1072196863.jpg