PDA

View Full Version : Grrrrrrrrrr.......

Joash Boyton
01-02-2007, 11:24 PM
I think it's self explanatory what happened......I should'nt of gone that thin I guess...

It is a Mallee Root Burl

This was a piece I was going to enter into the International woodturning competition, the AAW is holding. Oh well, I'm halfway through another one, and I have an unlimited amount of these burls.

Shame thought, because I love that shape.

You want to know how close that thing came to attacking me, when it broke??...........Too close:D

Anyway, I'll show you some pics of my next good ones.

Dennis Peacock
01-02-2007, 11:49 PM
Better luck next time Joash. It happens to all of us at some time or other.

An endless supply of burls hugh? Lucky fellow!!! :D

Joash Boyton
01-02-2007, 11:54 PM
Yep, down here, there are so many mallee roots, they pile em up, and burn them!!!

5 days ago, that burl, was sitting in a chicken pen:D

JOASH

Steve Schlumpf
01-03-2007, 12:51 AM
To bad Joash but at least you weren't hit with the pieces! Looking forward to seeing the next one!

Gary DeWitt
01-03-2007, 1:43 AM
You ARE wearing eye/face protection when you turn, right?

Joash Boyton
01-03-2007, 1:48 AM
Yup, face sheild(full) Breathing mask, dust extractor, gloves, jeans, shoes etc:

Pretty safe, though it's still not the best feeling, to have something like that fly past:D

Joash

Jonathon Spafford
01-03-2007, 1:49 AM
Hey sorry about that Joash... but if that wood had been on my lathe this never would have happened!

Besides this type of burl has a toxic sawdust... you wouldn't want to ruin the ozone layer in Aussie... better send it over here! :D :D

Joash Boyton
01-03-2007, 1:52 AM
Why, because you never would have fit it on??:D:p this was turned on a MC900, I have 200kg of timber holding it down, you should have seen it when it was a whole block:eek:

Never heard of it being toxic.....joke/true/what?

If u pay postage, I'll send one over....really

Joash

Jonathon Spafford
01-03-2007, 2:02 AM
Why, because you never would have fit it on??:D:p this was turned on a MC900, I have 200kg of timber holding it down, you should have seen it when it was a whole block:eek:

Joash

It probably wouldn't have fit on my lathe. I just have a jet mini at the present. Naw, I was just kidding about it being toxic... it is kinda everybodies joke to talk someone out of a piece of wood :D
Hey, I may take you up sometime on getting a piece of wood from you. Right now my shop is so full of wood right now I don't think I would have any room to put any more ;)

Joash Boyton
01-03-2007, 2:24 AM
Ok, gotcha, well!! I'm glad it's not toxic, I'm on my 5'th piece!!

No room?? Seen my shed??:D

Thanks for the empathetic comments everybody:p

Joash

George Tokarev
01-03-2007, 7:10 AM
Yup, face sheild(full) Breathing mask, dust extractor, gloves, jeans, shoes etc:

I never add extra noise or wear hearing protection when working burls or other possibly cracked material. Detecting and correcting cracks early often comes from a change in the pitch of the cutting sound, and I want to hear it.

If you get the "click" and have difficulty finding the source, wet the surface with mineral spirits or alcohol and watch for wicking. Examine both sides on the thinning piece, taping (as a dam) the outside when reinforcing from the in. Otherwise you will feel the hairs on you left arm for days when the breeze fans through the new otoliths.

Dick Strauss
01-03-2007, 11:59 AM
Joash,
I'm glad to hear you're okay. I'm sure your next one will be a real beaut!!

As Gearge said, your ears are your friends. I had exactly the same thing happen but I had a warning tick before the deep bark inclusion caused it to blow. I stopped the lathe, told my buddy to watch out, and fired it back up. My first light cut (with my body out of the way) finished her off.

How big of a piece was that one? How big was it at the start of the turning process? Forgive all of the questions but I love the look of mallee burl and am interested in turning some.

Please send me a PM if you might be interested in parting with a few pieces. Do you have any idea what the shipping might be?

Take care,
Dick

Gilbert Vega
01-03-2007, 3:12 PM
Yep, down here, there are so many mallee roots, they pile em up, and burn them!!!

5 days ago, that burl, was sitting in a chicken pen:D

JOASH
Very nice piece Joash!

I picked a few pieces made from Mallee burls when i lived down there about twenty years ago (I lived in Bunbury during the startup of the Worsely plant). Too bad I wasn't into turning or I could have brought some back.

Joash Boyton
01-03-2007, 5:52 PM
Hey, thanks for the consolations....and the questions:D

I have extremely good hearing, I have taken 2 proffessional tests, and my hearing hits the top of the scale....I can hear around 3 times as much as the average person, which means, that having 4 machines running at once, is very, very, very loud. I use ear-muffs, and I have memorized lots of different sounds for lots of thicknesses. Because I have good hearing, when I use ear-muffs, it brings it down ot about the level that you guys can hear without ear-muffs. So, sound is not a problem, I never go through a HF anymore, becasue I use the sounds to go by.

My lathe is not a very big one (I am upgrading (http://www.vicmarc.com/siteimages/vl300lb.jpg)) but I had a substantial amount of weight, heft, and stabilityon board, so it was'nt to much of a problem. It was around 13" wide, by 6" high, but I had to trim it down a bit.....

At the moment, I have around 15 of these burls, and their are all mine:D But down south, a few hours the farmers hate them, because they wreck the machinery, they are like pebbles down there, I was down there recently on holidays, but 15 was all I could fit in the car, to take back with me:D I will be getting a trailer load come up soon. These burls I have, are the "small" ones, there are some that are around 40"x30"x16"!!!!!! If people are interested, I will look into it, we have all the milling equipment, so I can chop a few up into bowl blanks, to make them into a more friendly shape, and to save on postage, and size costs.

Thanks for the comments, I'm on a real beauty atm, it come off the lathe at 8:00 last night, but I'll finish it off, as long as my name's Joash...you'll see why;):D

Thanks a lot,

Joash

Joash Boyton
01-03-2007, 5:54 PM
Yeah, we got them from about 100 miles west of Bunbry. They are reeeeally nice are'nt they:D

Bob Hallowell
01-03-2007, 6:28 PM
I bought some brown malle burl caps at west penn hardwoods. It's about 6 dollars a pound. But it is nice!

Bob

Joash Boyton
01-03-2007, 6:54 PM
Ok, if anyobdy is interested, send me a PM, and I'll get back to you when I have some, we may do it off SMC, as selling is prohibited on SMC??

Joash:)

Joash Boyton
01-03-2007, 8:20 PM
Here is what I'm working on:)

Joash Boyton
01-03-2007, 8:35 PM
I decided to stop that for a while, and have some fun:D:D:D:D

Norfolk Island Pine, as you can see, it's a loooooooooooooot of fun:D:D:D:cool: :cool: :cool:

Keith Burns
01-03-2007, 9:57 PM
Toot!.....

Joash Boyton
01-03-2007, 10:16 PM
I still havent figured out what "toot" means?? American slang??

Clarifacation please:

Pete Jordan
01-03-2007, 10:30 PM
I decided to stop that for a while, and have some fun:D:D:D:D

Norfolk Island Pine, as you can see, it's a loooooooooooooot of fun:D:D:D:cool: :cool: :cool:

Are you making one of those really thin bowls that light shines through?

Joash Boyton
01-04-2007, 1:04 AM
Ummm...I may, I'm not sure, I make a hollow form, but.....it is a rather bland timber, any ideas on making a bit more different??

Joash

Barry Stratton
01-04-2007, 1:44 AM
I have extremely good hearing, my hearing hits the top of the scale....I can hear around 3 times as much as the average person,

Can you also leap tall buildings in a single bound?:D

Sorry, couldn't resist. Hope that malee holds together for you, nice stuff that burl!

Joash Boyton
01-04-2007, 1:54 AM
LOL!! No, not really:D ALMOST:cool::D

I hope it holds together as well:) Let ya'll know:D

Bill Wyko
01-04-2007, 3:11 AM

Joash
I'd like to take you up on that offer. where are you?:o

Joash Boyton
01-04-2007, 3:15 AM
I am in Perth/Australia.....