PDA

View Full Version : Follow up: Gold lettered on etched anodized aluminum

Gary Gilbert
01-02-2007, 11:10 PM
A few weeks back I made an inquiry about have gold lettering under teh anodized aluminum that I am now having done - but it now sows silver (bare) aluminum.

Someone posted a neat solution of brass plated steel with baked enamel finish. Good possibility I will try this.

IN THE MEANTIME! A very simple solution.
Our aluminum panels are anodized black, laser etched to create the labels/words. NEXT - we apply a toner. Literally, a gold toner. I think it is an acrylic that is like a transparent color tone. We do it all the time on guitars. So, we tried it on the metal, and you basically couldn't tell there was toner on the panel except where the silver showed through, and it was a beautiful gold color!

Thanks for the suggestions!

Bill Cunningham
01-02-2007, 11:19 PM
What do you mean by a 'toner' Gary? I've used photocopy toner to blacken wood engravings, but I've never heard of 'gold' toner?

Gary Gilbert
01-03-2007, 10:10 AM
Toner is a transparent paint, in essence. Our use on wood allows us to apply a color overtone to wood, while still seeing the wood.
It turns out to be very effective on the aluminum panel . . .

I still have to consider how well it will stay on and whether it will chip off.

Bill Cunningham
01-03-2007, 10:44 AM
Thanks Gary!! You learn something new here every day:D

Gary Gilbert
01-03-2007, 11:19 AM
FYI: The toner is a dye-based spray (as opposed to pigment). It is alcohol based and is pretty rugged. The thciker it is, the more likely it is to crack on a flexing surface.

Bill Cunningham
01-03-2007, 11:24 AM
Where would you get it?

Gary Gilbert
01-03-2007, 3:41 PM
Using our "toner" as I've describe it previously is actually a Dupont base (which you can get an an auto paint store), and the color is called "Radiance" from PPG, which we happen to get from a local paint supplier.:)

Now, we have high-end filtered compressed air systems, but you can but these materials, get a small can and have it pressurized by many paint suppliers. There are also small kits you can buy. All parts need to be cleaned when finished . . .:(