PDA

View Full Version : Getting an old table apart. Question...pic

Dennis Peacock
01-02-2007, 9:42 PM
I have a lady at church that has a table built by her grandfather. The table was built in 1911. She is wanting the legs of the table cut shorter so the table can be used as a coffee table. The current table is 30" high and she is wanting it to be cut down to about 18" high.

What's going to be the best way to get the joinery apart so the legs can be cut off and then reassembled.

Here's a pic of the table.

Dan Oliphant
01-02-2007, 9:52 PM
With the table being built in 1911, the glue may be hide glue. If that is the case, heat and pressure may be the ticket.

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-02-2007, 10:20 PM
It looks like he built ot after the Roycrofter tradition.
Knock the wedges out and like Dan said water and heat. I'd try a wet towel and an iron - and patience it'll resist and resist and then when it goes it'll go quick.

Art Mulder
01-02-2007, 10:20 PM
Gee, Dennis, there must be more to this story, because my first answer would be: Please, No! :eek:

(destroying her grandfather's work instead of preserving it!?:confused: )

Dennis Peacock
01-02-2007, 11:45 PM
Gee, Dennis, there must be more to this story, because my first answer would be: Please, No! :eek:

(destroying her grandfather's work instead of preserving it!?:confused: )

Well Art.....

That was my first thought as well. But it's her table and she wants to make use of it by making it a coffee table. :eek: :confused:

Todd Burch
01-03-2007, 10:13 AM
What will the table look like when done? Will it still have the bottom shelf? It appears that the bottom shelf is integral to keeping the legs sturdy.

Todd.

Steve Clardy
01-03-2007, 10:14 AM
Hmmm.

Hide glue, maybe wedged M&T joints ??

and possible an ocasional hidden finish nail. :eek:

Have fun buddy;) :)

Ben Grunow
01-03-2007, 9:11 PM
You could just cut the legs just above the lower shelf and use handsaw and chisels to remove the lower leg sections (leave stretcher attached to shelf) from the stretchers. Carefully of course. Old wood usually has straight grain and splits readily and predictably. Shame though.