PDA

View Full Version : Setting up shop

Mandell Mann
01-02-2007, 9:15 PM
Is it a bad idea to setup power tools in the garage in Michigan? Will the hot and cold weather rust my hand tools and cabinet saw or is the garage the common place for woodworking shops?

nic obie
01-02-2007, 9:35 PM
Is it a bad idea to setup power tools in the garage in Michigan? Will the hot and cold weather rust my hand tools and cabinet saw or is the garage the common place for woodworking shops?

At times we do what ever is possible ..

Nothing wrong with having your shop in the garage. If you can keep your better 1/2 happy, soon enough it will be called your shop. :D

David G Baker
01-02-2007, 11:22 PM
Mandell,
Many shops are set up in garages. The hot and cold may cause some problems with tools so you may have to do a few extra things to provide them with some protection. For instance your table saw and any other power tools that have cast iron tops need to be coated with a wax to protect it from moisture. I use Minwax paste wax. Do not use waxes that have silicone in them because it will transfer to your projects.
In Michigan and other cold/snowy Winter states if you heat your garage and park your vehicles in them it tends to speed up the corrosive action of the road salt. If you are going to use your garage as a shop and not as a place to park your vehicles you may want to think about insulating and heating it because the cold will get to your hands real quick.
I live in Mid Michigan and use my garage for some wood working because it is convenient but it is a pain because I have to move my car and then move my tools so I can do the work. I have a couple of buildings that are set up as shops but sometimes I get lazy. I use a 500 watt light to light my projects as well as to provide a little warmth.
I store most of my hand tools with packets of silica gel to absorb moisture, it has worked well so far.
Good luck.
David B

Mandell Mann
02-06-2007, 5:27 PM
Thank you for your help.