View Full Version : Locust HF

Christopher Hunter
01-02-2007, 8:11 PM
Man this stuff is hard as nails...
Tried a new design and am not sure if I like it or not ---
maybe you can help me decide?

8.5"tall -- 5"dia, sanded to 600, 1/8" wall, and one coat of wipe-on poly
but it is as heavy as a bowling ball
I even thought I left the bottom too thick, but nope, it is all uniform....
---
comments welcome

--Chris

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-02-2007, 9:32 PM
Interesting shape and the grain paterns nicely.

The only comment I would make is that it doesn't look like the inside has finish on it. You may be going to get to that later.

Bruce

Christopher Hunter
01-02-2007, 10:06 PM
yep you guest it...
hey Bruce are you in the centeral woodturners group?

Jim Ketron
01-03-2007, 12:37 AM
Nice job Chris!
I will see if I can help you with what IMO would make this a better turning.
The overall shape is pretty good you just need to tweak it a little IMO.
The shoulder of this piece is a little to low for the overall size that it is just moving it up a little would make a huge difference in its looks.
Also I think that the bottom needs a little work, try to keep lines flowing throughout the turning without abrupt changes, it gets a little to round at the bottom, a gentle curve from the shoulder to the bottom would help a lot.
I like the neck and the opening I think you have a great looking piece, with just a few adjustments would make a big difference in the overall looks.
Jim

John Hart
01-03-2007, 6:44 AM
Yeah....I think it has very nice lines from the top to the shoulder...then it makes sort of an abrupt change. Seems like if you want it to be abrupt, then the transistion should be sharper...but if you want a smooth shoulder, make it a tad more gradual. Nice work Chris!

Dick Strauss
01-03-2007, 12:13 PM
Chris,
It is much easier to turn it green than dry. I notice a big difference even after it sits for a few months tucked in an anchorseal blanket. It is always more difficult than apple, maple, and cherry IMHO.