PDA

View Full Version : The bottom line on rebuilding batteries.

Dave Falkenstein
01-02-2007, 5:30 PM
I just sent two Dewalt 12 volt batteries off to Jason at Battery Rebuilders. The total cost for the two batteries is $80.25. That breaks down into $25.00 for each rebuild, $10.36 for Jason's return shipping, $18.89 for UPS ground shipping to Jason and $1.00 for packaging. Jason obviously gets better shipping rates than I get. So the bottom line is about $40.00 per battery, $25.00 for rebuilding and $15.00 for shipping. That's less than I can buy new ones, but not a whole lot less - $49.00 per XRP battery on Amazon today with free shipping. Next time I'll wait until I have three or four and keep the shipping costs more reasonable. Hopefully I will have better-than-new batteries after Jason is done with them.

Mike Henderson
01-02-2007, 5:54 PM
I did some calculations on rebuilding and did not come out with as good a return. I looked at two of the kits offered (where you install them) for Dewalt 18 volt batteries. The total cost with shipping was $75.

I see two packs of Dewalt batteries selling on eBay for about $95 (including shipping). But those batteries are new and have a Dewalt warantee.

If I shipped my batteries to be rebuilt and it costs me $15 to ship my batteries, the cost to me would be $90.

When you think about it, the cells are the major part of the battery so the cost saving of reusing the housing is not that much.

Mike

[I just rechecked the rebuild costs. If they rebuild the batteries, it's $35 each. For two, with shipping, that works out to about $95, or about the same price I can buy new two batteries on eBay. The do-it-yourself kits were $32.50 each.]

Lee DeRaud
01-02-2007, 8:06 PM
Next time I'll wait until I have three or four and keep the shipping costs more reasonable.For small dense items like these, UPS is definitely not the right answer. Even with grossly paranoid packing, you oughta be able to get four of them into a flat-rate box. That's $8.10, or $2 less than whatever shipper Jason is using.

Pete Simmons
01-02-2007, 8:13 PM
I have had batteries rebuilt by Jason and I believe they are BETTER than factory new. I would rather have Jason's work in my hand than a Dewalt warranty in the bush.Not associated with battery rebuilders - Just a happy customer.

Matt Meiser
01-02-2007, 8:37 PM
You have to be careful comparing batteries. For example I think think the standard Dewalt battery is 1.3Ah which is pretty pitiful IMHO. An XRP battery gets you something like 1.8Ah. If I remember correctly, Jason uses 2Ah batteries. Porter Cable also has 1.3 and 2.0Ah batteries.

UPS rates can be crazy. If I ship something from my UPS account it can cost as much as double what it costs if I have the mailroom guy at work ship it (which we are allowed to do, but I've been abusing it the last 6mo so I decided to give him a break.) I didn't used to like to ship things Priority Mail but the post office relaxed the restrictions on putting packages in the mailbox if they fit, and if not, my wife now drives right by our small town PO on the way home from work. And they'll give you free packing materials.

Dave Malen
01-02-2007, 8:51 PM
Jason stands by his work. I had a problem with some batteries he rebuilt for me. It seems he got in a shipment of defective batteries - they wouldn't hold a charge for very long. In any case he replaced them no questions asked at no charge to me. I would definitely do business with him again.

Dave

Bob Wingard
01-02-2007, 9:28 PM
If you want to save on shipping .. .. .. disassemble the battery if possible .. remove the cells from the pack .. put everything else back in the case .. mail it !!

Should weigh a fraction of the original. Of course, you will properly dispose of the dead cells.

Jason Abel
01-02-2007, 10:09 PM
UPS is definitely the answer for shipping compared to the post office. I did business with the post office last year and they were loosing 1-2 packages per month. I have been shipping with UPS since and have not had any packages lost or damaged. Keep in mind USPS charges extra for insurance. UPS insures every package for $100. I'll gladly ship VIA priority flat rate to save someone a few dollars but I accept no liability after it leaves.

As for the rebuilds it is up to the individual person. If you are a light user just buy the OEM batteries and you'll be happy. Rebuilds aren't only about saving money. It is also about getting a higher quality battery pack with better performance. As previously stated in this thread I stand behind the batteries that are built here at my shop. I only ever refused one person warranty service and well.....the guy didn't bother to drain the motor oil out of the case prior to bringing it back to me to tell me "I don't know what happened to it, it just stopped working" :rolleyes: . If you ruin your rebuilt battery just tell me and I typically cut you a deal at getting it fixed to help offset the cost.

If cost is more of an issue than cell quality just let me know. I have lower grade cells that I can use to save some $$. I have purchased some of the aftermarket stuff off Ebay to see what they use inside. "Most" of the batteries I bought had a slow charge cell inside which does not accept the charge rates offered by one hour chargers. This cause excessive at build up and short battery life. Some of them used decent cells but they were much more expensive also. Don't get me wrong, there is good deals to be had out there. I just wanted everyone to understand a little more what the differences are between the OEM and the rebuilds.

Thanks,
Jason
Battery Builders

Steve Clardy
01-02-2007, 10:18 PM
I've also used Jason in the past, and will again.:D
His service is terrific.:D

I usually ship small items UPSP flat rate to save on shipping

Jason Abel
01-02-2007, 10:21 PM
I'm working on getting those Bosch Batts Steve. I'll be in touch soon! You did say they were 14.4V Blue Cores right?

Steve Clardy
01-02-2007, 10:23 PM
Correct;)

Thanks!!:D

Mike Henderson
01-02-2007, 10:25 PM
You have to be careful comparing batteries. For example I think think the standard Dewalt battery is 1.3Ah which is pretty pitiful IMHO. An XRP battery gets you something like 1.8Ah. If I remember correctly, Jason uses 2Ah batteries. Porter Cable also has 1.3 and 2.0Ah batteries.

UPS rates can be crazy. If I ship something from my UPS account it can cost as much as double what it costs if I have the mailroom guy at work ship it (which we are allowed to do, but I've been abusing it the last 6mo so I decided to give him a break.) I didn't used to like to ship things Priority Mail but the post office relaxed the restrictions on putting packages in the mailbox if they fit, and if not, my wife now drives right by our small town PO on the way home from work. And they'll give you free packing materials.
The Dewalt batteries (DW9096) are advertised as 2.4Ah. I agree with Lee that a Priority Mail fixed rate box ($8.10) would be a good shipping solution.

What about the rebuilt batteries makes them better than new Dewalt batteries? Is the Ah rating higher? Do they charge faster? Do they hold a charge longer when not in use? Or what? If there's some significant difference, I'd be willing to pay more.

Mike

Jim Becker
01-02-2007, 10:48 PM
One way to mitigate cost is to do a little of the work yourself...I just ordered cores from Jason for my Dewalt 14.4v XRP drill/driver. Shipping is only one way that way, too.

Jason Abel
01-02-2007, 11:07 PM
I also offer return S&H labels on the site to for what it's worth. $11 ships (2) batteries to me insured for $100. UPS label is emailed to you. I do get a decent discount due to volume. Brown has taken care of me but everyone has had good/bad luck with someone at some point....next year this time I might be cursing Brown and talking up someone else....it's human nature.

Good Night Guys

Jason
Battery Builders

Dave Lehnert
01-02-2007, 11:08 PM
May want to give this place a look. Never used them but may give them a try next time
http://www.digital-camera-battery.net/power-tool-batteries/DEWALT/DW9072.htm

David Figueroa
01-02-2007, 11:17 PM
Are battery cells/kits available for Festool TDK drills? thx.

Jason Abel
01-03-2007, 11:02 AM
As for the DW9072 that is linked there is something to keep in mind. They claim it to be a 1700mAh NiCad cell inside. This is physically impossible as there is no such thing as a 1700mAh NiCad in a 4/5SC size. 4/5SC is the cell size in a DW9072. In order to get higher than 1300mAh they must switch over to NiMH which is 2-3x more expensive due to low demand. anything labeled higher than 1300mAh is a cell that is mislabeled to fool the consumer. Many battery companies do this including the rechargeables you buy at the store. Most of them are 8%-10% less mAh than what they have written on them.

I presently do not have documentation on the festool cell configurations so I could not build one without digital pics of the inside of the battery showing cell/tab layout. I could certainly build one for you if you can provide that info. Let me know.

Thanks,
Jason
Battery Builders

Jeffrey Schronce
01-03-2007, 11:14 AM
UPS is definitely the answer for shipping compared to the post office. I did business with the post office last year and they were loosing 1-2 packages per month. I have been shipping with UPS since and have not had any packages lost or damaged. Keep in mind USPS charges extra for insurance. UPS insures every package for $100. I'll gladly ship VIA priority flat rate to save someone a few dollars but I accept no liability after it leaves.

I live about 1/2 a mile from Jason and can attest to the problems with USPS in this area. I recently shipped a DeWalt router to a guy in Canada, through the local USPS office. It was returned 2.5 months later due to improper paperwork. I went into the same office and he said I did the label myself and there office would never make a mistake. I pointed out the label indicated that they created the label and he advised that maybe they did but I took the original contents out and put something else that was heavier into the box to try to get cheaper rates! I pointed out that he was using the wrong shipping method and when he changed the system he got the exact postage. This turned into a really ugly incident. I can't believe the guy stood there taking no responsibilty for the event and then said I was trying to defraud the USPS!
Note that everyone will see differences in UPS rates 01/01/07. They are loosing the Residential Rate and everything will be going to the lower COmmerical rate. Of course the commerical rate is going up. Rural surcharges still apply and you folks may be getting hit with that $2-$3 surcharge when you are shipping to Jason out of a UPS store. Probably better off letting him send you the pre-paid lable.

Dave Falkenstein
01-03-2007, 11:28 AM
I also offer return S&H labels on the site to for what it's worth. $11 ships (2) batteries to me insured for $100. UPS label is emailed to you. ...Jason
Battery Builders

Jason - I missed the prepaid shipping label, which I have now found under "Shipping Information". Perhaps you could include this shipping savings as an option when we complete the credit card charge portion of the order. If it was there, I missed it.

James Carmichael
01-03-2007, 12:31 PM
The Dewalt batteries (DW9096) are advertised as 2.4Ah. I agree with Lee that a Priority Mail fixed rate box ($8.10) would be a good shipping solution.

What about the rebuilt batteries makes them better than new Dewalt batteries? Is the Ah rating higher? Do they charge faster? Do they hold a charge longer when not in use? Or what? If there's some significant difference, I'd be willing to pay more.

Mike

FWIW, the Black & Decker PS130 battery, which works in lieu of the DW9096, is 1.4 ah. I use them in my DW impact driver since it was a demo unit with no batteries. Jason may be seeing them soon as my ID eats those pitiful nicads for a midmorning snack:-)

Jason Abel
01-03-2007, 1:10 PM
The shipping label for sedning to us does come up on the order confirmation page but many people miss it. I agree that it should be made a little more obvious. I'm going to try to add it to some more pages just might take a little time. We are packed right now due to the Holidays. Went through a few thousand cells this week alone just trying to catch up from being down for a week. After this weekend everything will be back to normal with shipping times.

Thanks for the confirmation on our local situation Jeff :D

I have an insurance claim open with them that I filed last March!! They have had more post masters in the past year than I can count....wonder why.

Jason Abel
01-03-2007, 1:17 PM
James, We can certainly do them. You will notice they will have more bite to them when you get them back.

Thanks!