PDA

View Full Version : spalted oak NE

Mark Pruitt
01-02-2007, 4:57 PM
This one surprised me by staying in one piece. I roughed it and DNA'd it back in late September; finally got around to finish-turning it on 12/31. The bark was lost during roughing, so I used a torch to burn the edges. I set the doggone thing on fire about half a dozen times, and I had the flame on low!:eek: Got the walls down to under 1/8". I have the other half of the log still sitting on the floor with the ends sealed. Maybe it'll develop more spalting between now and when I recover from carpel tunnel surgery. (I'm sorry I keep talking about that stupid surgery but dangit I just want it over and done with!!!)

Anyway, thanks for looking.

54145 54146 54147

Christopher K. Hartley
01-02-2007, 5:21 PM
After all those things I said about you and then you go and turn an OAK!! Looks great, fine job on this one. Glad you pulled it from the fire several times...or was that you setting the fire? I can't remember! oh well, it is here. Thanks for showing more Oak!!:)

Steve Schlumpf
01-02-2007, 5:51 PM
Mark, that's a really nice looking bowl you got there! Love the grain and it looks light as a feather! What's the dimensions and what did you use for a finish?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-02-2007, 5:59 PM
Mark.....What a beauty! Spalted oak.......and some more to come back to when you've recovered..........That enticement will speed up recovery!
You'll be in my thoughts and prayers!

Bernie Weishapl
01-02-2007, 6:35 PM
Mark that is a beauty. Nice form and finish. Nice job.

Christopher Hunter
01-02-2007, 6:57 PM
Love It...
Great job---
good luck with the surgery--
--Chris

Mark Pruitt
01-02-2007, 8:33 PM
What's the dimensions and what did you use for a finish?
Steve, it's 8.25" diameter at the tips of the wings, and 4" deep. Finish is BLO. I'm on a BLO kick it seems.

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-02-2007, 9:26 PM
Where's the chips!

That is just the right size for a snack.

Looks good, too!

Bruce

Mark Cothren
01-02-2007, 10:33 PM
Mark, that's a great NE! And from some stinkin' old Oak...:D Nice work...

Jim Ketron
01-03-2007, 12:00 AM
Mighty Fine NE Bowl Mark!

Mark Pruitt
01-04-2007, 1:52 PM
(I'm sorry I keep talking about that stupid surgery but dangit I just want it over and done with!!!)

the surgery went well. little bit of discomfort but some medicine keeping it to a minimum. thanks for the well wishes. as you can see my typing is challenged, it was my good hand that needed surgery. three weeks without turning, doctor's orders. bummer. at least it is done.

i'll lurk mostly for a few days since it is taking forever to type this. i'll share more later. thanks guys.

Jim Ketron
01-04-2007, 2:00 PM
Glad it all went well Mark!
Do as instructed and get yourself well!
After that there is plenty of play time on the lathe;)

Keith Burns
01-04-2007, 2:11 PM
Great NE Mark, doesn't get any better than this!!!:) :)

Mike Ramsey
01-04-2007, 2:24 PM
Very nice indeed! Great job Mark!

John Miliunas
01-04-2007, 2:31 PM
Dooooooood! Hand surgery SUCKS! Had surgery on both of my thumbs, so I know of what I speak! Just take it light, as per doctor's orders. In the meantime, I'll try to see if I can't duplicate your NE. Yeah. Right. I think NOT!!! :rolleyes: :o Great job, Mark! :) Now, go watch the latest episode of Gilligan's Island! I wonder if they'll ever get off that island!!! :D :cool:

John Hart
01-04-2007, 3:11 PM
I wonder if they'll ever get off that island!!!
Me too. I'm worried about Gilligan

....the Skipper too.

......The Millionaire....and his wife.

The Movie Star.....and the rest...

oops...I mean......

The Professor and Mary Ann.:o

Hey nice bowl Mark! That CTS is a real pain. It's good you attacked it back. Now take it easy and heal proper.;)

Ken Fitzgerald
01-04-2007, 9:51 PM
I still think Mary Ann was the prettiest!:rolleyes:

Ernie Nyvall
01-04-2007, 11:17 PM
That's a fine looking NE Mark.

Carpel Tunnel... is that like a high occupancy lane... only it's in a tunnel? Okay, that was bad. I've been up too long.

Hope your hand feels better.

Barry Stratton
01-05-2007, 1:22 AM
WOW Mark, awesome NE. And OAK:eek: :eek: :eek:

Good luck recovering from the surgery!

Gary DeWitt
01-05-2007, 1:32 AM
Ken - Ginger!!!

Mark - take it easy & don't push it. You got your whole life to turn, you can let your hands rest a bit.