PDA

View Full Version : sharpening station plan?

Greg Stanford
01-02-2007, 3:21 PM
Taking advantage of some woodcraft gift certificates to go ahead & get the 8" grinder (have been using a 6" w/ some modifications) & would like to build a stand for it so it will be closer to the lathe. Any suggestions for plans, things that have worked well or not worked as expected? Thanks in advance.

g

Fred LeBail
01-02-2007, 4:57 PM
What I have done with my 6" grinder and Oneway sharpening system is put a bolt and cleat on it and attach it to the ways of my lathe. It is near when I am doing bowls , and when spindle work is going on I remove the cleat and clamp it to the work bench .

Frank Kobilsek
01-02-2007, 5:12 PM
Fred

'Bowl Postion' - I'm picturing a sliding head and the grinder is on the ways left of the head stock. Do I have it? and I like that idea.

Frank

Jim Ketron
01-03-2007, 12:56 AM
I Like My grinder about chest high, it makes it a lot esier getting the jig setup without a lot of bending over looking at the bevel on the grinding wheel.

Fred LeBail
01-03-2007, 5:44 AM
Frank, the headstock is fixed and the grinder set-up is on the Tailstock end.If I am doing shorter spindle work it doesn't have to be moved. I will post a picture later.

Ok, here are the pictures of my set-up. Hope this helps !

John Hart
01-03-2007, 5:44 AM
In my last shop..I had my grinder about three feet away and to the left of the headstock. Very convenient and I just rotated myself counterclockwise to sharpen as I was turning. In my new shop, I decided to mount it behind me, and it is 4 feet away. So now, I rotate clockwise and take a step. I much prefer the new arrangement because my body blocks most of the shavings so I don't have to clean off the grinder to use it. Mine is mounted at the same height as the lathe (same bench)...but I'd almost like it higher like Jim says.

Greg Stanford
01-03-2007, 10:35 AM
Thanks for the ideas, I just got a Jet 1642 which has a sliding headstock & since most of what I do is bowls I like the idea of using that "wasted" space. I'd had the idea, & it's still twisting about in my mind, of a rolling stand w/ tool storage. My previous lathe, a delta midi, had a shop built stand that had the tool storage built in. As I dismantled it to make room for the new one, my tools are . . . around, mostly nearby. Anyway, thanks again for the ideas. You guys are great!

g

Bart Leetch
01-03-2007, 11:28 AM
I have 2 grinder set up so I can move which ever one I want to the front.

Jeff Moffett
01-03-2007, 12:31 PM
I haven't built one, but Norm Abram made a sharpening station on The New Yankee Workshop about three years ago. You can order the plans on the New Yankee website.

Wayne Kuhn
01-03-2007, 11:57 PM
Here is mine. It is self contained in this one neat package, with the exception of the long arm which live on the ductwork above when not in use.
I really like this set up, all the acces. are in the drawer. When in use I set on the end of my bench about 3 ft from my lathe. When not in use it sits under my lathe next to my buffing wheel rig. This could just as easilly be mounted to a rolling cart. I have depth guages mounted to it and also have portable depth guages I take along with my varigrind when attending classes (there is usually a wolverine set up at most shops I go to) This keeps my grind consistent. The center of the wheel is 48 in. Above the floor when on my bench. Gross weight 73 Lbs. This is the 2 speed from woodcraft about $80.00.
I think it is a great set-up.