PDA

View Full Version : Vector cutting order with a Universal

Tim Goldstein
01-02-2007, 2:00 PM
I have a X2 which uses the same print driver as the rest of the professional line. What I am trying to control is the order in which vector cuts are made. Have a part that has a few circle cut outs within the borders of cutting the part from the sheet.

Right now the machine is cutting the part from the sheet and then going back and cutting the circles in side the part. What I want it to do is cut the circles out first then cut the part out of the sheet.

Any suggestions on how to make this happen?

John LeBlanc
01-02-2007, 2:06 PM
If I'm not mistaken, the Advanced tab for the driver has a section called "Vector Optimizer." "Sort" and "Enhance and Sort" should both cause the laser to cut the inner circles before the outer circle.

John

Todd Schwartz
01-02-2007, 2:28 PM
Tim,

It has been my experience that if you want to control what cuts first, you will need to arrange the objects in order that you want them cut in Corel Draw's Object Manager. It will cut the last one first and work its way up the line.

See:
http://www.epiloglaser.com/tl_objectmanager.htm

Todd

Tim Goldstein
01-02-2007, 2:43 PM
Todd,

I tried that and it did not seem to alter the order with the Universal print driver. I will have to double check and make sure that I really did have them in the order of inner parts first.

John,
I am not at the machine, but have the manual with me. Here is what it says about the feature you pointed out:
SORT
The printer driver collects all the vectors from the application software, stores them in temporary memory, sorts them, and the outputs them in the following order:
· All open path vectors are output first (not closed path vectors like circles and squares) beginning with the end point of the vector path that is closest to the current position of the focus carriage. All subsequent open vector paths are output using the same “nearest neighbor” starting point method which eliminates the random “vector hopping” that causes longer processing times.
· Closed paths will follow, beginning with the innermost closed path and ending with the outermost closed path. This is particularly useful in an elevated cutting application to prevent the outer piece from falling first. The beginning point of a closed path is automatically selected by the printer driver by the “nearest neighbor” vector path that has the steepest angle in the Y-axis direction.

Reading this I am starting to understand my issue. The outer cut removing the part from the sheet is not a closed curve. It has a couple of very small breaks to keep the parts in the sheets. The inner cut outs are closed curves as I don't care if the part falls out and is sucked out the exhaust.

Reading further it says:
Regardless of which of the following selections you choose, vectors are grouped by pen color and will always output in the color order listed in the printer driver.

So it looks like I just need to break my vector cuts into 2 different colors. Thanks for pointing out this section of the advanced tab. It seems that reading the manual can make all the difference <g>.

Lee DeRaud
01-02-2007, 3:24 PM
The sort order for that driver can be (very) odd at times, but fortunately you can also shut optimization off completely. With that done, using the Corel Object Manager as Todd suggests gives you complete control over the cut order.

For some jobs, that's the only thing that works without playing a bunch of games with multiple cut colors.

Tim Goldstein
01-02-2007, 6:29 PM
The sort order for that driver can be (very) odd at times, but fortunately you can also shut optimization off completely. With that done, using the Corel Object Manager as Todd suggests gives you complete control over the cut order.

For some jobs, that's the only thing that works without playing a bunch of games with multiple cut colors.

Lee,

Thanks for the advise. I will have to check the setting and see if optimization is on or off. Am pretty sure I get the items in the correct order in Corel when I first saw the issue. So it is likely that optimization is on by default. Will try and what happens.

Thanks,

Joe Pelonio
01-02-2007, 6:32 PM
It seems that reading the manual can make all the difference <g>.

Manual? What's that? Seriously, sometimes it does help to read it.

Tim Goldstein
01-02-2007, 6:44 PM
Manual? What's that? Seriously, sometimes it does help to read it.

Don't disagree. Unfortunately a blizzard here in Denver and distraction from a business I just bought have kept me from actually sitting down and going through the manual page by page and trying out each feature to really understand what it does. I did skim through the manually quickly, but at least for me reading and playing with the setting is far more educational than just reading alone.

John LeBlanc
01-02-2007, 7:00 PM
Manual? What's that?

Hey, I used to work with a guy with that name!

Seriously, sometimes it does help to read it.

At least for me, one of the things that keep me from actually reading a manual lid to lid is those very useful "Quick Start" guides. For me, the manual becomes a "break glass in case of emergency" sort of thing. Not prudent, I know.

John

Mike Mackenzie
01-02-2007, 7:00 PM
Tim,

If you want to cut in the order that Corel draw has drawn then you need to put the vector optimizer to ENHANCE ONLY. If you want the outline to cut last then change the color of just the outline to a color lower in order than what the circles are. (if the circles are in red change the exterior cut outline to green or something below that) Then be sure to turn the vector optimizer to SORT and ENHANCE.

This is a much better way to do it than to adjust everything in Corel. What is probably happening is the outline and the circles are close together and the driver software can't differentiate between the two.

PS. reading this again it really sounds like the outside path is not a closed shape thus the reason it is cutting not in the proper order try to apply a fill to that shape if it does not fill it is not closed and thus the problem. As the manual states it will cut ALL OPEN SHAPES FIRST then all closed paths.

Tim Goldstein
01-03-2007, 11:40 AM
Tim,
PS. reading this again it really sounds like the outside path is not a closed shape thus the reason it is cutting not in the proper order try to apply a fill to that shape if it does not fill it is not closed and thus the problem. As the manual states it will cut ALL OPEN SHAPES FIRST then all closed paths.

Mike,

Once again you are a great resource. Anyone in your area would be well served to buy their laser from you.

You are correct on this one. My outer cuts are open so the small parts don't blow out of the sheets. I will try the 2 color approach as you and some others have suggested. Seems that lets the driver do it's optimization and still gives me control over order.

Thanks,