PDA

View Full Version : In lieu of table saw..

Matt P
01-02-2007, 1:49 PM
I live in a studio apartment in NYC, so a table saw is out of the question, however, I plan to use my porter cable 698 router table with a 1/8" straight bit as a pseudo-table saw. Aside from wood wasting because of the bit width, do you think this will work? I only make small projects - trays, picture frames, etc..
Thanks,
Matt

Jim Becker
01-02-2007, 1:54 PM
Matt, that will "work", but be aware that you'll need to make multiple passes with a thin router bit like that...they will snap very easily if you try and take too much of a bite. If you have a patio or other area available to you, you might consider a guided saw system for cutting down material for your projects...or a benchtop bandsaw.

Marcus Carr
01-02-2007, 1:59 PM
I would second the small bandsaw, or a mini table saw like the one by Microlux.

Marcus

Kent Fitzgerald
01-02-2007, 2:04 PM
I think you'll find it slow and noisy, and with a 1/8" bit, you'll be limited to about 1/2" cutting thickness. You mentioned that you had a bandsaw in another post, and I agree with Jim and Marcus that it's a better bet.

Matt P
01-02-2007, 2:13 PM
I have a Craftsman 10" band saw, which is pretty good, but I find that I can't do miters or perfect straight cuts very well because of the slight blade wander.. Also, the table has a sub-normal width miter slot.

Dan Clark
01-02-2007, 2:14 PM
Matt,

You may want to consider Festool. They specilize in high-quality tools that are very portable and easily storable.

Currently, I'm remodeling my master bathroom. I use Festool MFT1080 worktable + TS55 circular saw + guides as a table saw IN MY BATHROOM. Since I don't have to run up and down stairs to cut studs and plywood, it saves massive amounts of time. It's also a great work platform when used with clamps.

When I'm done with the construction phase of my project, I'll just fold it up the MFT1080, pop the TS55 back in it's systainer, and store them in the garage. (Try that with a normal workbench and table saw.)

Dan.

Kent Fitzgerald
01-02-2007, 2:26 PM
I have a Craftsman 10" band saw, which is pretty good, but I find that I can't do miters or perfect straight cuts very well because of the slight blade wander.
In that case, I'd recommend a decent hand-powered miter box (e.g., Nobex).

Homer Faucett
01-02-2007, 2:26 PM
Seriously, if you are only going to do small items like you listed, a few handsaws and a miter box would be your best bet and most cost effective. Likely a lot faster and more accurate than most of the powered alternatives mentioned so far.

Matt P
01-02-2007, 2:32 PM
Hmm.. that has not occurred to me.. I'll check into the Nobex.. Thank you!
Matt

Dan Forman
01-02-2007, 3:53 PM
Add a handplane or two to clean up your edges, and a shooting board for ends and miters. Another option would be a good jigsaw like the newer Bosch or Festool and a guide system, either bought or you can make your own. You would still want to handplane your edges smooth though. A wealth of info on handtools can be found down in Neanderthal Haven.

dan

Marcus Carr
01-02-2007, 4:00 PM
Here is an explaination of how to use a saw board. This could be the ticket for you table saw dilemma.

http://members.aol.com/woodmiser1/sawbd.htm

Marcus