PDA

View Full Version : Need to Buy/Purchase Photograv

Tracey Bakewell
01-02-2007, 1:01 PM
So, no matter where I've looked online, I can't seem to find any alternate places to purchase photograv at any discounted price. Anyone have any suggestions of where else this can be purchased other than the manufacturer for close to $400?

Thanks!
Tracey

John LeBlanc
01-02-2007, 2:12 PM
I purchased my copy for $395 -- the best (only) price I found.

It's worth mentioning that, while not a small amount of money, it's a lot cheaper than the number hours you would spend tweaking each photograph you engrave. The first one I tried to make usable in Photoshop cost me ten or eleven hours total. At even a modest hourly rate, you can see how that can add up absurdly quickly.

In comparison, the first Photograv photograph came out perfectly and I didn't even use the manual!

In my opinion, it's worth the asking price.

John

Dave Fifield
01-02-2007, 2:21 PM
PhotoGrav is specialized software with a very small market. It's not going to be found on discount anywhere.

Bill Cunningham
01-02-2007, 2:42 PM
So, no matter where I've looked online, I can't seem to find any alternate places to purchase photograv at any discounted price. Anyone have any suggestions of where else this can be purchased other than the manufacturer for close to $400?

Thanks!
Tracey

By the time mine arrived in Canada, (395.00 Engravers network in Texas, free shipping) It was about 450.00 Canadian.. The dealers up here want $525.00

Kim Vellore
01-03-2007, 12:34 AM
I bought the software but found Corel to do better for my application, Never used it since then so based on what you want to do it might be worth it or of not much use.

Kim

Hilton Lister
01-03-2007, 4:44 AM
I also purchased this software and have not had much success with it. Indeed, the few times, I have needed to use a photograph, I have been more successful in achieving the effect I wanted with Corel Photopaint rather than Photograv. Guess it all comes down to user proficency

Frank Corker
01-03-2007, 4:57 AM
Okay, there are two people on this page who have not taken to Photograv, why don't you make one of them an offer. They get some money for a program they don't use and you get a program at a really good price. Incidently Tracey, I searched everywhere to try and get a copy of this program, it's just not out there and if it's any consolation I paid in pounds what some people have been paying here in dollars.

It's a good program, it isn't the easiest in the world as it has loads of various settings and in the beginning, there are more failures than successes. Take for instance working with glass, the settings are pretty straight forward but it has a tendency to flip the image on default settings, which is something I personally hate. Quite often it suggests that you engrave the glass at 100 power 97 speed. Yeah right, try etching glass with those settings, it won't even show! Then when you come to working on mirror, no settings or simulations are available, a lot of the so called standard suggested settings don't work as they say.

Whilst I'm having a bit of a gripe with this program, I found that on some of the softer woods using the suggested settings they were not powerful enough. Then on the suggested Epilog settings for wood, I burned too deep leaving a very poor result. My solution, strange as it may seem, convert the picture at 600 dpi and engrave at 300 dpi - result - brilliant. How bizarre!

All said and done, if you persevere it will pay off to use it, the time factor and consistency ( once you have mastered it ) being the main plus points.

Vicky Orsini
01-03-2007, 8:44 AM
Okay, there are two people on this page who have not taken to Photograv, why don't you make one of them an offer. Excellent idea, Frank! OK, Tracey, you take one, I'll take the other. :D Hilton & Lister, what would you want for your software?

Tracey Bakewell
01-03-2007, 9:24 AM
Yes, Frank that is an excellent idea if Hilton & Kim are willing to part with their software??? I actually did get a private message from another forum person making an offer, we're contacting Photograv right now to determine if they'll honor transferring the software to another owner. I played with Corel a bunch last night after reading some helpful tips in a Corel draw newsgroup. One of them was to use the Floyd-Steinberg conversion method of bitmap conversion, and that really seemed to get pretty darn to close to a 1st pass at what it looks like Photograv does. Even if I could just get my hands on a trial version I would know if I actually needed it or not. I'm pretty proficient with Photoshop and still struggling a little with Corel so I'm already out at the book stores buying anything with Coreldraw on the cover :D

But, back to the subject! ... Hilton, Kim: As Vicky suggests, either of you willing to part with your copy, and if so, willing to make an offer? You can just send a private message, that's probably more appropriate;). Thanks!!!

Jeff Lehman
01-03-2007, 9:56 AM
PhotoGrav, is in serious need of an upgrade. I wrote sometime ago to the developer and was told they did have an upgrade in process, but he did not indicate any timeline.

There is no software out there that would survive on the market if it's developer doesn't listen to input from it's users and release fixes/updates. While it does what it does pretty well, the bigger graphic applications out there are starting to get to the point where they may eventually match or surpass its capabilities.

I'm not bashing PhotoGrav, just making a personal observation.

Regards

Gary Hair
01-03-2007, 10:28 AM
I use PhotoGrav and think that it does things that I would have to spend hours doing manually. I literally installed it, imported a bitmap and engraved a photo within an hour of installing it. The problem came when I tried to engrave granite. The image turned out really bad and I had such good luck with marble that I was pretty frustrated at the poor results. I called PhotoGrav and asked them why? They explained that the settings were based on their laser and probably wouldn't work with my particular machine. They further explained that once you find a setting that works, stick with it - don't use what the program says. They did recommend some settings to try with my laser and they worked perfectly!

I asked about upgrades and future enhancements and they said that a new version with a lot of new features was due out very soon, I think they said first quarter this year, but don't quote me on that.
I think that most of the problems people have could be solved by simply making a phone call to PhotoGrav support. They really do want you to be successful using their program, they are not just selling you something and leaving you out on your own. I spent about 15 minutes on the phone with them and they had my problems resolved completely.

Before you give up on the program, give them a call - I can almost guarantee that they will have you engraving photos in no time. It's not really that difficult when you have the right software but if you don't know how to use the software it's still not going to happen.

Gary

Bill Cunningham
01-03-2007, 11:08 AM
Over the past few years, I've gotten to know my laser pretty well, and realized that some of the photograv setting were out to lunch, as far as 'my' machine was concerned.. I started getting closer to the actual needed settings, when I told it my max. speed was 120 ips. from the manuf. advertised speed of 80 ips.. Still, I usually ignore what it says, and use the speeds/power setting I have found that worked before trying photograv.. But I do have to say, I have got very good results 'first time' on every photo I've tried, right out of the box, and using the auto process mode..(and my own speed/power setting). But that could also be the result of picking the right photos. If you have been doing a lot of pictures, you will find quite rapidly that not all photos were meant to be engraved. What you usually get from a customer, is a mediocre .jpg of someone wearing a black suit against a dark background of some kind, which will always end up looking like a face floating in the burnt out background. I don't even consider .jpgs to be "Camera ready Artwork", and the only real usable ones are the raw 'virgin' .jpg right from the camera at it's highest setting. NEVER work on a .jpg, and re-save it as a .jpg. It should only be saved as a .bmp (huge file) or a .tif if you plan to do anything else with it as far as manipulation goes..The Evils of Using JPEG Files (http://www.unleash.com/articles/eviljpeg/index.asp)
If you get a bad engraving, it probably started with a bad or low res. photo.. It 'may' have looked fine on screen, but that means nothing.. Your screen is usually only 96 dpi ..

Jeanette Brewer
01-03-2007, 12:53 PM
Even if I could just get my hands on a trial version I would know if I actually needed it or not.

Unless the new owners have a different policy, PhotoGrav has always come with a 30-day money-back guarantee. Having sold scores of PhotoGrav packages, I can think of only one customer who returned it but PhotoGrav honored the return guarantee -- "no questions asked". Well, actually, they asked but I just explained that the customer indicated it wasn't what he needed & they said no problem!

Since I haven't been told otherwise (by said new owners), I'd be happy to send it to you with an invoice payable in 30 days. If it's not what you need, tear up the invoice & send PG back to me. I'm fairly sure that most PG distributors would offer you the same.

Mark Winlund
01-03-2007, 4:45 PM
Hi.... would like to read this: The Evils of Using JPEG Files (http://www.unleash.com/articles/eviljpeg/index.asp), but it wouldn't come up. Do you have a better URL? Coudn't find it on the site either.

Mark

Tracey Bakewell
01-03-2007, 4:47 PM
Hey Mark, it worked fine for me???

Bill Cunningham
01-03-2007, 5:28 PM
Hi.... would like to read this: The Evils of Using JPEG Files (http://www.unleash.com/articles/eviljpeg/index.asp), but it wouldn't come up. Do you have a better URL? Coudn't find it on the site either.

Mark

Heres the url Mark
http://www.unleash.com/articles/eviljpeg/index.asp

Mark Winlund
01-03-2007, 5:53 PM
It worked this time. Lots of good articles there. I think that Norton didn't like it the first time around.

Mark

Levi Chanowitz
01-03-2007, 6:03 PM
Can I get in on the deal?

I am also looking for a discounted copy of Photograv.
Does anybody have one for me?
Will the company honor the new owners?

Dave Fifield
01-03-2007, 8:11 PM
Hmmm.... I have a feeling that PhotograV, like most software these days, is licensed to the original owner only and he/she may NOT sell or transfer the license. I'll check my copy tonight.

Carol VanArnam
01-03-2007, 9:49 PM
I wonder if we all got together and asked for a 1 time special price because we order a large ### of copies if they would agree. Hmmm- Let's say we got 10 people lined up to buy wonder if PG would cut us a deal.....

Hilton Lister
01-03-2007, 10:27 PM
But I'm not ready to sell my Photograv software. I'm convinced that the problem lies with myself and I'll get it right eventually, probably when I have an application that I really need it for.

Drew Stokely
01-04-2007, 10:13 AM
I'm traveling and cannot check my license at the moment, but I have a copy I would part with. I bought it and have tried to use it a couple of times without much luck. Since then we have moved on to other projects where it is not needed. Bought it last year about this time and I don't think the manual has been opened more than a couple of times. PM if interested.

Bill Cunningham
01-04-2007, 1:45 PM
The Agreement says:(paraphrased by me in parts)
You may tranfer the licenced software and acompanying written material on a perm. basis, providing you retain no copies, the recipient agrees to the terms of this licence agreement, imidiatly contacts IMAGELAZ to inform them of the transfer, and pays a tranfer fee in an amount to be determined. Upon such transfer your licence under this agreement is automatically terminated..

Jeanette Brewer
01-04-2007, 4:29 PM
This was posted on another forum. Since it's been a "hot topic" here, I thought I'd post the info. If this is against the rules, please delete & accept my apologies!

Subject: [LaserEngraving] PhotoGrav CD for sale

I have an extra CD of PhotoGrav 2.11 (latest version).

Regular price is $395 + $10 s/h = $405

I will sell it for $360 (shipping included)

Let me know if youre interested.

Michael Kowalczyk
01-05-2007, 12:13 PM
Jeanette and others,
I would say use caution when someone says they have an "extra CD" of a program. With today's technology anyone can make copies and print a good looking cover for a CD but most likely they would not want to talk to the manufacturer of the software and transfer the license/SN to the buyer.
I just shipped out my original version of PG v2.11, not a copy or an extra one, the other day after the buyer and myself had spoken to PG directly to make sure the transaction/transfer was viable.

All my rights will be transferred to the new owner. I do not have permission to tell you who it is but after they read this and if they want to tell you, about their phone call to PG that said it was alright to transfer and what the procedure was, it is OK by me.

Carol,
I think the idea of getting people together to buy in bulk/quantity is great but it may also be undermining their reseller's and then put the burden of support on PG directly. Not sure what their policy is but I would check into it.

Thanks and hope this helps,

Al Curatolo
01-08-2007, 10:04 AM
Photograv is OK. It's good if you need OK results in a short period of time.

A decent Photoshop/Photopaint artist can get better results every time. I only use Photograv when the client wants something cheap and quick and they don't care about the quality. If quality is paramount we'll do it in Photoshop instead.

Photograv is worth the money if you lack the skills in your image manipulation program of choice or if you're in a hurry.

Al

John LeBlanc
01-08-2007, 11:22 AM
A decent Photoshop/Photopaint artist can get better results every time. I only use Photograv when the client wants something cheap and quick and they don't care about the quality. If quality is paramount we'll do it in Photoshop instead.

Al,

Would you please describe your process using Photoshop for converting a picture to engrave? I'd like to follow it carefully and compare it to the results I get with Photograv. Thanks.

John

Bill Cunningham
01-08-2007, 12:19 PM
Photograv is worth the money if you lack the skills in your image manipulation program of choice or if you're in a hurry.

The VAST Majority of customers 99.99999% would never know the difference anyway.. I, and I'm just as sure about anybody else that's been in this business for years, have received less that perfect artwork from a customer, did the very best we could with it, but 'still' looked at it and shuddered thinking the customer is going to hate this, because it looks like crap.. THEN, the customer comes to pick it up, you 'sheepishly' hand it to him/her, and their eyes grow large, and then they shock the hell out of you and say IT'S JUST WHAT I WANTED , IT'S PERFECT!!!
You on the other hand, are thinking WHAT??? Are they blind or something?
Most people in this business are 'perfectionists' to say the least.. (that's why my wife won't work with me :D ) You see every little flow, and inconsistency in the work, the customer on the other hand, looks at the entire engraving/job..etc and sees (unless you really screw up!!!) exactly what they wanted.. You can work for hours in photoshop, or minutes in Photograv, and 99.99999% of the customers will never see the difference
Just depend on how much time to want to spend, and how much money the customer has.. because, unless they see two exact photos, done in two exact materials, and 'YOU' point out the differences.. They will will be happier than a pig in ...Well you know...

Wyatt Wolfe
01-09-2007, 2:11 AM
After seeing what photograv could do ( thanks to another member here for sending me a pic he had converted) I was very impressed.. but have never been impressed with the software's price.. so I decided, to try a hit and miss attempt to recreate the affects of Photograv for use with marble.. after 30 minutes.. I had it.. and have been making great looking marble ever since...

scan your photo in to photoshop - make sure that it is the size and dpi you need for the engraving ( I scan at 8x10 at 300dpi) then convert it to greyscale - ( here is the hardest part) look at it and adjust the brightness and contrast to what you think would look good on marble -then invert it

then save the item as a bitmap - import in to your burn software and have fun.. so far, I have not messed up one peice of marble... I guess I should try with wood and other items.. but marble was my main goal, and 395 in my pocket was my second goal...

now converting pictures takes less than 2 minutes in PS

Bill Cunningham
01-09-2007, 9:04 PM
I had used the method you use for quite a while 'before' I got Photograv. The Marble I engraved was very good, but Photograv made it 'much' better, and I only seen that after doing the same photo into the same piece of marble side by side.. Marble is a very forgiving medium for photographs... Try the same photoshop method on wood, glass or granite.. Not so forgiving..It can be done, but it takes time.. And lots of scrap to perfect. Me? I've generated my share of scrap over the years, but not so much anymore...

Gary Shoemake
01-22-2007, 10:45 PM
Just an FYI photograv is on ebay with a date of Jan 29th.
Look under laser engraving.