PDA

View Full Version : FS-350 Update

Jim Becker
11-15-2003, 9:20 PM
Instead of doing things I probably "should" have been doing today, I decided to spend some quality time getting to know the FS-350 jointer/planer now that I had the necessary 120mm to 5" adapter to allow hookup to the DC system. So here are some additional comments and pictures.

This machine is sweet and the finish it puts on the wood is outstanding...as good as or better than my Delta 22-560 planer. And the power really enables one to get lumber flat and thicknessed a lot faster. Where I needed to take little bits before on wide lumber, I can easily take a nice 1/8" or greater bite with no problem...other than overwhelming the DC system. More on that in a minute.

To put it through it's paces, I grabbed a bunch of poplar boards that have been taking up too much space in front of my miter station and made them into flat and true lumber. After crosscutting the 12" boards into 8' and 4' sections (and ripping one to eliminate a split), I jointed them flat in a few passes with about a 1/16" cut. I had no trouble handling the 8" boards as the infeed and outfeed tables are long enough to provide sufficient support without extra help. Longer (or heavier) stock might benefit from some auxiliary support at the beginning and end of the passes. The wide jointer bed was terrific for working with these 10" and 11" wide boards, too. For once, I can make wide stock flat before planing! I do need to make a very small adjustment to the outfeed table next weekend as there is a very small amount of snipe on the trailing edge...the outfeed table is just an RCH lower than the knives.

After making about a hundred board feet flat, I switched the machine over to planer mode and began thicknessing the lumber down to a final 3/4". (It all started at about 1 1/8" or so) This process was surprisingly fast and as I mentioned above, the finish on the lumber is outstanding. Even "problem" areas around a few knots had absolutely no tear-out and there was no snipe at all from the planer. In fact, I used one of the last few passes to insure that the small amount of jointer snipe was eliminated. One thing you can't do with this type of planer is put the board back through for a second pass at the same setting like you can on the portables...the serated infeed roller marks the wood. Overall, I'm very pleased with the machine's capability of turning rough lumber into flat and true lumber of the exact thickness I want.

I did experience one small problem relative to dust collection...the machine can easily overwhelm the capacity of the hood when in planer mode. The heavy shavings can bunch up as the hood narrows before transitioning to the 120mm round outlet. More airflow would be nice, but there is only so much air you can fit through that size duct, no matter what the capability of the DC! I may try to build a new hood at some point that can accept the full capacity of the 5" duct work.

Pictures

1) Dust collection hookup - Jointer Mode
2) Dust collection hookup - Planer Mode
3) Jointing a wide board
4) Planing the same board

Todd Burch
11-15-2003, 9:27 PM
Saaaa-weet! Us men (& women!) and our tools! Gotta love it. Todd.

Jim Becker
11-15-2003, 9:33 PM
Saaaa-weet! Us men (& women!) and our tools! Gotta love it. Todd.

Ya know, Todd, one of these in your shop plus an extra $600 would get you that horizontal mortiser you want...hee hee. Since you're in biz, the tax writeoff might help fund a chunk of it quite nicely!

Bruce Page
11-15-2003, 10:16 PM
That’s right Jim, go ahead and rub it in! While I fiddle-fart around with my little 6” PM jointer, you’re face jointing 11” lumber!
I can tell by the casting of that aircraft carrier deck, that that's one well-made machine!!

I am still extremely jealous. :mad::D

Thanks for posting the reviews & pic's

Dave Avery
11-17-2003, 11:59 AM
Jim,

Nice machine! How long does the changeover take? Do you need to be mechanically inclined? Dave.

Noah Alkinburgh
11-17-2003, 12:19 PM
Sweet!!! Can't wait to see that puppy in person, I have some white oak I need flattened perhaps I shall bring that along for a test drive :)

Only one question: Where are your push blocks? :eek:

Noah

Steve Jenkins
11-17-2003, 1:28 PM
Jim in regards to your dust collector. When I got my Felder planer I had the same problem . I checked the dust hood and right where the hose connects there were four small rods partway across the opening to prevent some idiot from sticking his hand in there. I bent them toward the hose to get them out of the way and haven't had any problem since. I don't know if yours is the same but maybe. Steve

Bob Lasley
11-17-2003, 11:04 PM
Jim,

I was thinking about your new machine this evening.............as I was ripping 10" wide oak so I could face joint it on my 6" jointer! :(

That is definately one nice machine. I hope you enjoy it for many years to come.

Bob

Jim Becker
11-18-2003, 12:06 AM
How long does the changeover take? Do you need to be mechanically inclined? Dave.

Sorry for the delay in answering...I'm at a business meeting with limited 'net access.

The changeover takes about 30 seconds, not counting cranking the planer table up and down for use or stowage. It's almost a one-finger operation due to the springs that balance the weight of the jointer beds. If you can turn a knob with your hand, you're well equipped to handle the process! :D

Jim Becker
11-18-2003, 12:15 AM
Sweet!!! Can't wait to see that puppy in person, I have some white oak I need flattened perhaps I shall bring that along for a test drive

No problem. Bring whatever you want to process along when you come to pick up the planer.

[QUOTE}Only one question: Where are your push blocks?[/QUOTE]

Umm...I don't use them much unless the stock is narrow as the tend to slip. (Believe it or not, the FS-350 manual doesn't show them in use!) In addition to the normal push pads available for use right above the infeed table, I have a shop-built on with a rear lip that I use when I feel the need to use one for safety. While I don't recommend that folks not use push pads--they should be used, it's a personal choice I've made to control what I'm doing. Never do anything you are not comfortable with...danger is everywhere. I actually wear some tight fitting rubber-palmed gloves when working with rough lumber to keep the slivers away and insure I have a good grip on the lumber. That works for me.

Jim Becker
11-18-2003, 12:16 AM
Jim in regards to your dust collector. When I got my Felder planer I had the same problem . I checked the dust hood and right where the hose connects there were four small rods partway across the opening to prevent some idiot from sticking his hand in there. I bent them toward the hose to get them out of the way and haven't had any problem since. I don't know if yours is the same but maybe. Steve

No obstructions...just a lot of volume trying to get through a very small space. I will try and engineer a solution when I have the opportunity.