PDA

View Full Version : Ash Hollow Form

Mike Ramsey
01-02-2007, 10:34 AM
This is my first attempt at a hollow form with collar & finial. Turned this
back in Sept. The collar & finial are Mesquite, it was the darkest wood
I had at the time, wish it had been darker for more contrast between the
Ash. Be cruel if you like, I can handle it.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-02-2007, 10:37 AM
How can you be cruel to someone recovering from surgery?

Besides......That's a beauty Mike! We wouldn't expect anything else from you! Well done!

I agree a darker wood would have provided more contrast but there's nothing wrong with what you've got!

John Timberlake
01-02-2007, 10:39 AM
Great job. Sometimes less contrast can be better and I think this is one of those cases. Love it, particularly the shape of the hollow form.

Steve Schlumpf
01-02-2007, 10:40 AM
Nothing wrong with this hollow form! Beautful wood, form and finish! I have to admit that I was surprised when you removed the finial - looked to me like it would have been attached at the collar and been one piece.

Nice work!

Keith Burns
01-02-2007, 2:24 PM
Mike, you did a great job on this, especially for your first. The only thing I can be cruel about is the finial which could be a little more delicate (IMHO). Overall it is a great piece, very appealling, ya done good:) :)

Mike Ramsey
01-02-2007, 3:49 PM
I totally agree that the Finial is a bit Fat. The second one I turned
was quite a bit more streamlined. I had planned on changing the finial
on this one but before I could do it it was taken by a member of my turning
club in an exchange and wouldn't let me change it!

Christopher K. Hartley
01-02-2007, 3:51 PM
That Ken is just an old softie! He wouldn't be acting like that if Andy was around. Well, I don't have any sympathy for you. Hospital or no, anyone who can produce something like this has got to be 100% and if you anrn't, don't tell us. Let us have a little bit of dignity. :mad:

Oh darn, it really is great work and I like it too!!:)

Bernie Weishapl
01-02-2007, 7:01 PM
Mike that is a beauty. I really like it. I think a walnut, purpleheart, paduck or something would have been better. I like contrasting woods.

Bruce Shiverdecker
01-02-2007, 9:39 PM
I really don't know what to say.

Things that come to mind are:

Wonderful

Beautiful

Creative

Super

and a whole bunch of other positive words!

Bruce

Pat Doble
01-02-2007, 9:45 PM
I'm with John. On this piece I think the lesser amount of contrast works better. Great job - beautiful piece.

Bob Hallowell
01-02-2007, 9:47 PM
Mike, I like everything about it very nice.

Bob

Mark Pruitt
01-02-2007, 9:56 PM
Excellent job Mike! I like it a lot!

Mike Ramsey
01-02-2007, 10:38 PM
Thanks everyone for the kind words.

Jim Ketron
01-02-2007, 11:56 PM
Beautiful Hollow Form Mike!
I like the finials shape and design, I agree it might need to be a little less bulky, but you did a mighty fine job on it!
The Collar might be a little tall for my taste, and I think it would look better without the transition at the top and the finial just setting down inside the collar and continuing the slope of the collar to tie in the finial, but thats a matter of opinion!
The Hollow Form shape and design looks great and the piece of wood you used has some nice figure!
Overall A great Piece Mike!
Keep em coming!