PDA

View Full Version : Belt sanders with small front roller

Stephen Tashiro
01-02-2007, 10:23 AM
In the hardware stores, I see displays of belt sanders that have a small front roller. Do these work any better or worse than the kind with two equally sized rollers? I'd think that there would be more stress on the belt in making a tight turn, but perhaps the wear on the belt face from sanding is the bigger factor in belt life.

Rick Lizek
01-02-2007, 11:30 AM
I would say it's not signifigant. We used to have 12" wide sanding machines for lipped drawers where the cloth belt would literally go around a 90 degree corner with no drum. The metal 90 degree corner had a piece of graphite cloth wrapped around it, in place of the so called drum. We got quite a bit of belt life on these machines. Also look at the small strip sanders...1/2" dia drum on some. Not a problem.

glenn bradley
01-02-2007, 12:10 PM
I have a "Dragster" as they are sometimes called and have been very happy with it. Another feature that seems like it would be a gimmick but, is not. I notice no reduced belt life but the coarsest grit I generally run is 60 and I try to stay away from 'discount' belts. The flip up front cover has come in handy a few times for tight spots.

Cliff Rohrabacher
01-02-2007, 2:03 PM
Bigger rollers mean lower bearing speeds.
Bigger rollers also flex the belt less.
Bigger rollers cost more so you pay more but usually you get what you pay for anyway.