PDA

View Full Version : New Shop Truck

Joe Pelonio
01-02-2007, 9:54 AM
I have a good tip for you next time you buy a new car or truck. Only thing is it won't work again for nearly a year.

Go on the last business day of the year. They get discounts from the factory based on the previous year's sales so they are very motivated. Apparently they had sold only one car the day before, so that helped too.

I made my "initial offer" and they agreed to it right away, then there were two rebates so I saved nearly $6,000. It's a Ranger Supercab 4-door 4x4.

I just went to look at them because I was getting nervous about the auto trans in the Explorer holding up, mine has 116,000 miles and my trans guy says they often come in for rebuilds at 110-120k. I told myself that if I could get it for a certain price I'd go for it otherwise I'd wait, and never expected them to be so easy.

Only trouble was the service people were already gone so I had to wait until today to take it home, and now there's a flood watch for rivers in the area where the dealer is. I'll get there one way or another!

Jim Becker
01-02-2007, 9:57 AM
Congrats on the new 'hauler, Joe!

Ken Fitzgerald
01-02-2007, 10:13 AM
Congrats Joe! Don't be too nervous though.....My 1990 4x4 1 ton Ford has 133,000.....I bought it with 123,000 miles on it. It's a 5-speed manual, however.

Joe Pelonio
01-02-2007, 10:18 AM
Congrats Joe! Don't be too nervous though.....My 1990 4x4 1 ton Ford has 133,000.....I bought it with 123,000 miles on it. It's a 5-speed manual, however.
The Explorer just has to make it another 40 miles to be traded in today.
I told myself that if I went used I would get a manual, if new an automatic. Seems that these smaller trucks keep their value, because the used ones were not that much less than new, looked at a used '04 and it was priced just $4k less than I paid for this '07.

Rob Russell
01-02-2007, 10:25 AM
You have to be a little careful about the "last day" thing. I believe that some states only allow the dealer to claim the sale if the vehicle has been delivered. In that case, you need to allow whatever time is needed for the financing, registration and whatever else is needed to deliver the vehicle.

The same can be said for end of quarter closes too, although perhaps not quite as much as yearend.

Mitchell Andrus
01-02-2007, 12:38 PM
I love that "new car smell".

TOOL! New TOOL smell....