PDA

View Full Version : Tile frustration

Steve Hayes
01-02-2007, 9:49 AM
I have been going crazy trying to figure out what I'm doing wrong. Refinished my cabinets, countertop is built and covered ready for tile. I'm using a bullnose on the edge and every one that I have cut I get tiny chips in the finish. I am using a wet tile saw, I have tried cutting slow,fast, upside down, rightside up and still get the chips. Any ideas??

Tommy Curtiss
01-03-2007, 2:55 PM
I went thru the same thing not long ago,,I had borrowed a tile saw from my buddy and kept getting little chip marks,,,I hate to tell you the way I fixed it was a new tile saw blade,,about $50.00 bucks worth,,but it did stop the chipping,,,Good luck,,,Tommy

James Stokes
01-03-2007, 3:13 PM
You can try to Sharpen your diamond blade. To do this slice up some concrete block or better slice up an old sharpening stone. This will clean the diamonds and re-condition them. I have a white rubbing stone I use for this.

Jerry Clark
01-04-2007, 5:17 PM
May want to check the alignment of the blade to the fence-- :rolleyes: or the slider. Just like a table saw -- if it is off it will cause problems.:D

Mark Pruitt
01-04-2007, 6:19 PM
never worked with cutting tile but with wood you can put a piece of tape over the surface to be cut, to prevent tearout. have you tried this with your tile?

Owen Gregg
01-04-2007, 7:16 PM
Hi Steve,

I work in a Stone and Tile shop. You'll always have a little bit of chipping when cutting. If it's too much, I would suggest buying a new blade, as mentioned before. The tape idea helps a little, too. Other than that, you could always put a small bevel on all cut edges with a good 400 gr wet/dry polishing pad. I think this gives the best edge.