PDA

View Full Version : Welding wood... what a trick

Carol VanArnam
01-01-2007, 11:51 PM
My laser dealer taught me this trick.... I've used the 3d weld effect on a lot of different items. You can make a really nice item then do the weld effect and vector cut it out. Then standing that part up makes the entire project look very nice. I've sold a lot of items like this. It works really well with mirrored acrylic. You can mix and match the colors of wood/acrylic so you get a different effect. So the stand up portion could be dark and the main part a light color.

PS- the dog is named Norman. He's my laser buddy. I haven't lasered him yet because he won't fit in my Helix Epilog plus he moves around to fast.

Leigh Costello
01-02-2007, 1:44 AM
I have been trying to come up with some ideas for a customer. This looks perfect! How do you glue the upright pieces? Are they flush with the top or centered by thickness? Very nice work!
Thanks for sharing.

Leigh Costello

Epilog Mini 24, 45W

Carol VanArnam
01-02-2007, 2:51 AM
I've attached the .cdr file in corel 12 so you can see how i did it. To glue the letters you can use wood glue (if the wood has not been sealed) or supper glue works if the wood has been sealed. If you have a hot glue gun that works. If the item isn't going to be moved around I don't even bother glueing the item. The grove keeps the item from tipping over....:cool:

Bob Yeager
01-02-2007, 10:53 AM
Carol --- What a great idea!

I noticed you posted at 2:51 AM...what's with THAT...you should be a sleep at that time!!

Bob

Leigh Costello
01-02-2007, 11:46 PM
Thanks, Carol! I think I can use this trick for my project.

Mark Rios
01-02-2007, 11:48 PM
Thanks for including the PS. I was wondering what you had welded on him.

:D :D :D

Jeff Lehman
01-03-2007, 10:06 AM
Thanks for sharing...