PDA

View Full Version : Apple or Apricot?

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2007, 10:08 PM
I came into some green freshly cut apple and apricot wood today? Anybody turned either......Is it worth playing with?

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2007, 10:13 PM
Ken, turned some apricot a while back - old apricot. Probably cut 20 years ago, very dry and harder than a rock! Real nice color and grain once I scraped out a weed pot. Have heard that they both check really fast so be sure to coat them soon.

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2007, 10:25 PM
I have turned both Ken. Turned pretty nice. Mine was green and DNA'd both. They did have a tendency to crack a little more than other wood so keep the CA close when you rough and finish it.

John Hart
01-02-2007, 6:27 AM
Don't know about apricot..but apple is great! Lots of character.:)

Terry Quiram
01-02-2007, 6:33 AM
Apple is nice to turn and can have some interesting grain patterns. Apricot is also nice to turn and has some awesome color and grain. I have been looking for nice Apricot or Peach for a long time.

Terry

Mark Pruitt
01-02-2007, 9:06 AM
Ken, I think you have Bill Grumbine's second DVD. The Winged Crotch Bowl and the NE that he turns are both from Apple, IIRC. I've not gotten my hands on any Apple but I look forward to the day I find some!

Jim Becker
01-02-2007, 9:41 AM
Oh, yea...good stuff to turn. The apple can be turned "thin and wet" for some interesting effects, too. If you can get a look at the Del Stubbs turning video, he does some nice things with apple.

Roger Bell
01-02-2007, 11:31 AM
Each is very finely textured and will take a wonderful final polish.

Curt Fuller
01-02-2007, 11:04 PM
Ken, Both are beautiful wood to turn but like most all fruit woods they will crack easily. Apricot can have some wild colors in it too. They would both probably be good candidates for a DNA soaking experiment.

Raymond Overman
01-03-2007, 12:00 AM
They're about the same consistency as peach from my experience Ken. Remember what peach turns like? :)

Ken Fitzgerald
01-03-2007, 1:26 AM
Raymond.....I hope to refresh my memory tomorrow morning....:D

Jonathon Spafford
01-03-2007, 1:52 AM
I've only turned one piece of apple before... it is really a beautiful wood! I have heard it has trouble with checking and splitting. The log I got was dry so I didn't have that problem. Again, like most of the guys on here will say: You can turn almost any wood... so have fun experimenting!