PDA

View Full Version : anything I should know b4 I buy?

russell johansen
01-01-2007, 9:48 PM
I am about to buy the makita 1013 miter saw. Anything that might change my mind about this machine? I'm wanting a slider and the ten inch seems the way to go. The fence on these doesn't look the greatest but other than that it looks like a good machine.

Home Depot has a 12 inch rigid for the same price but I couldn't find any reviews.

THe dewalt 12 inch looks nice but seems to get terrible reviews. (and is more expensive)

Thanks

Tim Malyszko
01-01-2007, 11:01 PM
While the Dewalt DW718 doesn't get the most favorable reviews, it's predecessor, the DW708 was highly regarded. If you look around, you may still be able to find a refurb in the same price range as the makita saw. In fact, I saw one the other day for $409, but I cannot remember which tool web site.

I picked up the DW708 back in June for $415 and it's been my most used tool outside of a table saw since then.

Either way, the Makita is a fantastic saw. In fact, I've considered buying it myself since its more compact size makes it a bit more portable than the DW708. I don't know a single person who's been dissappointed with it.

Good luck.

Dan Clark
01-01-2007, 11:11 PM
IMO, the two best 10" sliders today are the Bosch 4410L and the Makita LS1013. Being newer, the Bosch has some great features such as the rotating handle (I hated the Makita's vertical handle). The Bosch and Makita are very solid and very precise.

The DW718 is not as as good as it's predecessor - the DW708. I compared the DW718 to the Bosch and the Makita side by side. There's NO comparison. The DW718's head is pretty flexible and the castings aren't that good.

I bought the Bosch. However, except for the Makita's vertical handle, I would have been very happy with either saw.

Good luck,

Dan.

Allen Bookout
01-01-2007, 11:32 PM
GET IT!!!! I have the LS1013 and think that it is outstanding. Extremely accurate. Operatets real smooth. I like the vertical handle. That could be because I used a radial arm saw with a vertical handle for over thirty years so it is natural for me. I do not know what kind of price that you are looking at but sometimes HeavyDutyTools has a good deal on them. I got mine for $408 and some cents delivered. Shipping would be more for you being in WA so might not be a good deal even with a sale price.

I am not saying that the Bosch is not an equal unit but I do not have one so can only report on the Makita.

russell johansen
01-01-2007, 11:59 PM
thanks for the replies. I had not looked at the Bosch so I guess I better do that before I plunk down the cash. After I posted this I went digging through my mags and found FWW review of the sliders. They liked the Bosch best so when I saw these comments it made me pause. No real hurry, have about a month until my next project.

Thanks

glenn bradley
01-02-2007, 12:25 PM
Hard to chose when you've got it narrowed down to two winners. If you can get a hands-on with both of them, I think it will help seal the deal. Either way I think you'll be happy.