PDA

View Full Version : First bowl "Pic"

Don Farr
11-15-2003, 4:58 PM
Not really, just the first one that I would show to anyone. I pieced together a blank from the scraps of the cutting board that it is sitting on. Kind of a southwestern look. Thanks Kevin for all your help. I would have probably give up on this turny thing long ago if it wasn't for all your patience help.
Thanks for looking.

Now if this stupid computer don't crash on me again, I will post a picture. This time next week I will be running a 2.4 gig. Celeron with 512 meg of ram.

Dennis Peacock
11-15-2003, 5:28 PM
So how did you cut the pieces to make the segments? Seems like it would be difficult to cut all those little bitty pieces and glue them up.

Excellent job and very nice work on the cutting board AND the very nicely done bowl. Thanks for sharing.

Kevin Gerstenecker
11-15-2003, 5:46 PM
Don, my friend, I think you have it NAILED! :D That is one AWESOME Bowl! The segmented work and the bowl in general is beautiful. I love the shape, the segmented area looks to be in the perfect position on the bowl itself, and the finish is very, very nice. The talent was always in ya Don, you just needed someone to help nudge ya over the top. If that was accomplished with my help, I am indeed humbled and impressed with your skill as a turner. Glad I could help Don.........I don't know who is more excited with this bowl, you or me! ;) Thanks for posting the photo.............now that ain't so hard, is it? :D Keep 'em spinnin' Don...............I can't wait to see what is next! :)

Jim Becker
11-15-2003, 7:46 PM
Outstanding!

Brad Schafer
11-15-2003, 8:48 PM
very, very nice.

b

David Eisan
11-15-2003, 9:07 PM
Very Pretty!

I have only made a few pens on my lathe, I would really like to make a segmented turning someday...

David.

Tom Sweeney
11-15-2003, 9:27 PM
Don,
That is one fine bowl ya got there! To try a segmented turning this soon & then to nail it- you should be proud of that one - definately a keeper! & it looks great with the cuttingboard to - a matched set :cool:

Matt Bridges
11-15-2003, 11:03 PM
That is awesome!!

Don Farr
11-16-2003, 12:37 PM
So how did you cut the pieces to make the segments? Seems like it would be difficult to cut all those little bitty pieces and glue them up.

Excellent job and very nice work on the cutting board AND the very nicely done bowl. Thanks for sharing.

Dennis, I waited till this morning to take a picture so I could explain how I did it. I glued up strips and decided that I would need about eight sections for the size bowl I made. Then figured out the angle to cut them. 360 degrees divided by eight came out 45 degrees then that times 1/2 is 22 1/2 degrees each side. Cut them using the miter gauge on the BS. Sandwiched them between maple blocks. I didn't know what I was doing :confused: I just got lucky.
maybe the picture will help. Thanks for asking.