PDA

View Full Version : First Posting by a New Member

Malcolm Tibbetts
01-01-2007, 9:43 PM
Hi All,

Someone pointed me towards this site a while back. I did the registration thing and I’ve visited a few times. This is my first posting. My work is almost exclusively segmented. I’ve been participating for a few years on both the AAW forum and the WOW forum. This is a photo of my latest piece, titled “Neighbors” and it contains 12,000 pieces of wood. It’s a style of assembly called an “orderly tangle”. There are many different “tangles” possible from different shapes. This one is comprised of six interlocking pentagon-shaped rings.

It you belong to WOW, then you may have recently seen this there.

Malcolm

Jim Becker
01-01-2007, 9:49 PM
Oh, my...the "Master" of incredible work joins us! Welcome to the 'Creek Malcolm!! Your new piece ups the bar even more, too.

I suggest you post a few more pictures of your work as I know there are many here who are not familiar with your art.

John Hart
01-01-2007, 9:50 PM
Welcome to the Creek Malcolm!! I've seen some of your work in the past. The work you've posted in the gallery of your website is....well.....humbling, to say the least. Astonishing work that makes me wonder....How do you go about deciding where to start with some of your pieces? Looking forward to more.:)

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2007, 9:58 PM
Welcome to the Creek Malcolm! After seeing your website....I'm sure we can all learn from you!

Robert McGowen
01-01-2007, 10:12 PM
Welcome! I received your book from my wife for Christmas. I only had to leave 3 hints and "accidently" leave the order form up on the computer once. I hope you won't be to embarressed when I post my first segmented piece and say I learned it from your book. :)

Bill Boehme
01-01-2007, 10:25 PM
Welcome, Malcolm. I have always been in awe of your creativity and depth of knowledge in segmented work and I would highly recommend your book to anyone who even has a passing interest in segmented turning. It would benefit even those of us whose work consists of only one segment (this also includes not counting CA repairs as a separate segment).:D

Bill

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Welcome to Creek. I have always admired the turners who do segmented turnings. Nice work.

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Welcome to the Creek Malcolm!! I visited your website and was just blown away! I am still trying to figure out how to turn a simple bowl but can appreciate art. I look forward to seeing more of your work!

Christopher Hunter
01-01-2007, 10:59 PM
Welcome Malcolm,
I just got your book for Christmas too and I was so excited, to get it, that I read the whole thing the day after...
Thank you for joining and I look forward to insight from you in the future!!!!
--Chris

Dennis Peacock
01-01-2007, 11:17 PM
Welcome to SMC Malcolm. Glad to have ya hanging around the flowing waters here at the Creek. Beautiful work....as usual. :D

Malcolm Tibbetts
01-02-2007, 1:11 AM
Thanks for the "welcome". It looks like you folks have a good time. I'm going to try to stop by on a regular basis.

Joash Boyton
01-02-2007, 1:15 AM
Hey there, great to see you on here.....when I've seen your work on WOW....it's jaw droping:D

Harvey M. Taylor
01-02-2007, 7:23 AM
Hello, Malcom. Is there room for one more Welcome to the creek? I have your book on segmented turning. I have to say, my breathing barely returns to normal, then I turn the page. Inspirational to say the least. Max

Christopher K. Hartley
01-02-2007, 8:05 AM
Malcom, Welcome to the Creek!! I'd sure like to see more of your stuff, it is very interesting. Hope you decide to hang with us and share your knowledge with us. We in turn will share wit, humor, and generally useless but fun stuff with you.:D

Mark Cothren
01-02-2007, 8:34 AM
Welcome to the Creek, Malcolm! Lots of good info on this board, and lots of great folks.

Mike Ramsey
01-02-2007, 8:45 AM
Welcome to the Creek Malcolm! Your work of course is amazing!
I spent the month of November in the hospital, my reading material
was your Segmented book...loaned to me by one of our club members,
for some reason he insisted I give it back to him!

Mark Pruitt
01-02-2007, 8:55 AM
Holy shamolies......I'm not even going to ask how you did that, Malcolm. If I did ask, I'm not sure I would even comprehend the answer. I'm speechless. Welcome to SMC!

Travis Stinson
01-02-2007, 9:33 AM
Welcome aboard Malcolm. It's always a treat to see what you've come up with.

Keith Burns
01-02-2007, 10:35 AM
Welcome to the Creek Malcolm !! I'm sure your stay will be enjoyable:) :)

Don Orr
01-02-2007, 11:54 AM
Good to see you here on the Creek. Your work is, as always, astounding. I've been watching you on WoW , WC and AAW for several years now and continue to be amazed and awed by your creations. Your book is excellent also! Thanks for the autograph at Totally Turning 2006 in Albany.

Ted Calver
01-02-2007, 12:09 PM
Malcom,
What nicer way to start the new year at the Creek than having a world class artist sharing his work with us. Welcome!!

Pete Jordan
01-02-2007, 12:31 PM
I've just seen the cover of your book but after seeing this, I am on my way to the book store.

Welcome!

Brad Kimbrell
01-02-2007, 12:35 PM
We're not worthy! We're not worthy! Oh, that's Mike Meyers' line...

I have your book and keep it as an inspiration along with one of Ray Allen's books by Dale Nish.

I can't stop looking at your "piano keyboard looking" sculpture! Sorry, I'm in San Juan today and don't remember the name. Very creative and technically superb.

Welcome to The Creek!

Ron Sardo
01-02-2007, 1:06 PM
Welcome Malcolm

I had the chance of seeing you at Totally Turning in Albany. I enjoyed your presentation.

Paul Engle
01-06-2007, 11:38 AM
Welcome Malcolm
Well ... the bar be so far outta sight now that I can breath easier knowing I will never see it again :D , your work is exceptional at the least and truly extraordinary. Hope to gain any insight from you in the future ( and maybe the bar will return so's I can see it again before I die :D ) .

Ernie Nyvall
01-06-2007, 5:02 PM
Welcome Malcolm... say that three times real fast. Very interesting piece.

Bill Wyko
01-06-2007, 5:13 PM
Malcom your reputation preceeds you. I've only been turning for about 5 weeks and your name came up every time I walked into woodworkers source. I was particularly impressed with the chess table and chairs. Any chance of you posting a picture? The first book I read was one on Ray Allen from Yuma AZ. I'm in Tucson so he was near me. Thats when the guy standing next to me told me about your work. I really prefer doing segmented work, one reason you are such an inspiration. Welcome to SMC. P.S. Any tips on segmenting would be greatly appreciated.

Glenn Hodges
01-07-2007, 8:57 AM
Malcom, I have always found your work incredibly complex for my mind, but so beautiful. Thanks for letting us view it, and welcome.

Jim Dunn
01-07-2007, 9:46 AM
Welcome Malcom. I don't have any cudos as yet as I haven't seen your book or website. But the piece you posted here is awe inspiring. Thank you for your post and joining this great group of people.

Andy Hoyt
01-07-2007, 10:58 AM
I can't think of any original ways to spell your first name, so.....

Welcome, Mr. Tibbetts!

Folks, this guy demo'd at our club last October (http://www.mainewoodturners.org/html/october_2006_-_malcolm_tibbett.html) and it was a most educational day. If you ever have the opportunity to sit in on one of his sessions - don't pass it up.

David Walser
01-07-2007, 12:19 PM
Folks, this guy demo'd at our club last October (http://www.mainewoodturners.org/html/october_2006_-_malcolm_tibbett.html) and it was a most educational day. If you ever have the opportunity to sit in on one of his sessions - don't pass it up.
You all have the opportunity to sit in on three of his sessions! Per the newly posted rotation schedule, Malcolm will be addressing three topics at the DWR in February:

Intro to Segmented Turning
Advanced Segmented Turning
Segmented Sculpture

Each 1.5 hour session will be repeated twice.

In addition to Malcolm, there will be some other turners demonstrating who might merit your attention. Here's the link:
http://www.desertwoodturningroundup.com/products.htm

Tyler Howell
01-07-2007, 1:29 PM
Ok you can leave now:( !
Don't need any more hot shots discouraging us new bees:rolleyes: .
Awesome work and a real inspiration. I think it's me that should leave now.
Thanks for sharing.