PDA

View Full Version : Anyone have one of the Hitachi impact guns?

Matt Meiser
01-01-2007, 9:11 PM
A week or so ago my Dewalt impact driver gave up the ghost--apparently an internal short in the driver that smoked one of the battery packs (literally) so it is a total loss. Anticipating its demise a few months ago I bought one of the new Bosch 10.8V drivers which I love, but it isn't going to have the power to drive big screws, lag bolts, or 1/4" drive sockets that my impact had. I noticed the Hitachi 12V driver at Lowes today for $129. Anyone have one of these? How is it holding up?

I'm rather disappointed in the Dewalt as it only lasted about 3 years and the new ones come with a really low Ah battery pack unless you pay a lot more.

Todd Burch
01-01-2007, 9:32 PM
I have two Hitachi Impacts. The first was 9volts, bought circa 1994, and my new one (2004?) is 12volts. They are AWESOME. The last kit I bought was around $289 - not sure what you get for $129?

Todd

Matt Hyman
01-01-2007, 9:42 PM
I bought a WH12DM2 from Amazon back in 2004. It is a 12V with 1060 in-lbs of torque. I have used for driving screws through 1/2" hardibacker and 3" screws for 3/4" underlayment. It really does a great job!

Jim Hager
01-01-2007, 10:03 PM
A week or so ago my Dewalt impact driver gave up the ghost--apparently an internal short in the driver that smoked one of the battery packs (literally) so it is a total loss. Anticipating its demise a few months ago I bought one of the new Bosch 10.8V drivers which I love, but it isn't going to have the power to drive big screws, lag bolts, or 1/4" drive sockets that my impact had. I noticed the Hitachi 12V driver at Lowes today for $129. Anyone have one of these? How is it holding up?

I'm rather disappointed in the Dewalt as it only lasted about 3 years and the new ones come with a really low Ah battery pack unless you pay a lot more.

Matt, I have one of those and like it just fine. Most of what I do with it is driving assembly screws while putting together cabinets but it also has spent quite a bit of it's time driving 3" deck screws while I have been building some outbuildings. Tough little customer and I would hate to have to do without it.

Matt Meiser
01-01-2007, 10:21 PM
I have two Hitachi Impacts. The first was 9volts, bought circa 1994, and my new one (2004?) is 12volts. They are AWESOME. The last kit I bought was around $289 - not sure what you get for $129?

Todd

With the one at Lowes, you get the driver, 2 batteries and a 30 minute charger, but it looks like they are only 1.4Ah batteries. :( One with 2.0Ah batteries runs about $210 at Amazon.

Craig Coney
01-02-2007, 11:05 AM
I've used the Hitachi 12V with the 2.0Ah battery, great machine, but sold it ( got as much as I paid for it) and went to Bosch 12V for more power & the rest of my cordless tools are Bosch. The Makita impact is great as well. Not sure I'd go with a low Amp Hour rating battery on an impact, as your power seems to die off suddenly when you've exhausted the battery w/o much warning.

Paul Simmel
01-04-2007, 1:09 AM
I bought the Makita18v Lithium-Ion driver in August for new construction. I charged the batteries once, and to this day the first battery remains charged and strong, and there has been no heat in the garage/shop yet. It weighs ¼ less than my tried and true dewalt 18v drill, and about 1/3 the size.

This will drive a DeckMate 2.5” screw all the way through the width of a 2 x 6 (5.5”) with an extended bit, and yet is “soft” enough to drive the smallest tiny screw just right (cabinet door hinges). This is am amazing tool… which after much research, I am happy to own now. TapCons… a breeze now, and light enough to hang from my belt from the built on clip.

http://www.shopping.com/xPC-Makita_Makita_18V_Lxt_Lithium_Ion_Cordless_Impact_ Driver_Kit_Model_BTD140~r-1~CLT-INTR~RFR-www.google.com (http://www.shopping.com/xPC-Makita_Makita_18V_Lxt_Lithium_Ion_Cordless_Impact_ Driver_Kit_Model_BTD140%7Er-1%7ECLT-INTR%7ERFR-www.google.com)

If you ever have to run up a ladder to screw poll-scaffolding braces in place, this baby might save your life! J