PDA

View Full Version : Thanks -this is a gloat

Dave Malen
01-01-2007, 8:53 PM
All right guys - some of you might remember I posted two or three weeks ago a thread seeking your advise on buying a Lie Nielsen 4 bronze HAF or 4.5 HAF. And thanks to the members of this forum I received some good tips. Well I decided on the 4.5 and couldn't be happier. This is some hefty plane. Feels great in the hand. I included a picture of the sharpened blade. I used a Veritas honing guide and took some strokes heavier on both the left and right sides to get a rounded secondary bevel. I am by no means an expert but it seems to work to give a smooth surface. Although I like my bedrock number 4 it would sure be nice to have a 4.5 with a regular frog. Boy am I getting greedy:rolleyes:

Dave

Jim Becker
01-01-2007, 9:42 PM
Very nice plane...and maple, Dave. I know you'll make it sing, too. (Could you post larger pictures??)

Mike Cutler
01-01-2007, 9:46 PM
That plane is a sweetheart Dave.
Can you show how you achieved the rounded secondary bevel on the edges on yours?

Dave Malen
01-01-2007, 10:26 PM
Mike,
I use a technique that I saw Ian Kirby demonstrate at a woodworking show a couple of years ago. Of course he does not use a guide. He explains this technique in a book called Sharpening with waterstones. I use the scary sharp system (glass and sandpaper) instead of stones. First I make sure that the primary bevel is straight across the blade by checking with a machinist square. No problem with the Lie Nielson. Than I start with 400 grit and take 3 or four strokes putting slightly more pressure on one side than three or more strokes putting more pressure on the other side. I hold it up to the machinist square again looking to see if a little light shines through on each side. The curve should be very gradual. I than move on to higher grits stopping at 1200. Some people go to 2000. I also knock off any wire edge on the back side. With the veritas jig all you do is turn a brass wheel to position the blade for the secondary bevel. Hope this helps to explain. Tomorrow I can post some pics to clarify this.

Dave

Don Bullock
01-01-2007, 10:28 PM
Congratulations on your new purchase. Those LN planes are fantastic tools. Use it well. BTW -- That's a beautiful piece of maple.

Dave Malen
01-01-2007, 10:42 PM
Ok Jim. Not sure if this will work - but here we go.

Dave Malen
01-01-2007, 10:49 PM
It's 101 KB. Hope it's big enough

Roy Wall
01-01-2007, 11:07 PM
Beautiful plane and awesome Tiger Maple!!!

Keep a stick of parafin wax handy and that tool will glide effortlessly!

I believe the LA Blk plane is the LN #1 seller....and the 4.5 is #2!