PDA

View Full Version : Earring Stand

David Fried
01-01-2007, 7:34 PM
This was a Christmas gift for my daughter Samantha. She saw one online and asked if I could make one for her. While I have made things for her in the past, I think this was the first time she requested something.

It was a good chance to brush-up on my spindle turning skills.

I bought the drilling template from Packard. The stand is Bird's Eye Maple, about 3" across and 6" high. (Bird's Eye, singular, I counted them! )

I found taping the profile to the tool rest really helped. (A trick I stole from someones web site)

For a first try, I followed thier design but I think the finial looks too heavy to me. Next time I'll improvise a bit.

Thanks for looking.

John Hart
01-01-2007, 7:50 PM
Oh man....too cool Dave. My girls would love that! More than they would love a horse!:D I gotta try that. Very nice work. I counted three birds eyes.;)

Mark Cothren
01-01-2007, 7:53 PM
Good stuff, David!

Did I just hear John say he got his girls a horse??? :confused:

Christopher K. Hartley
01-01-2007, 7:59 PM
Good Job David! This is something your daughter will cherish for a long time. The pattern idea is a cool one. Thanks for sharing.:)

John Hart
01-01-2007, 8:02 PM
Did I just hear John say he got his girls a horse??? :confused:

That would be a big "nope". Need to get your ears checked Mr. Cothren.;) Went out to the pasture (soon to be orchard) the other day, and most of the horsey piles are nearly gone. Ahhhh.:)

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2007, 8:19 PM
Very well done Dad! She will cherish it I'm sure! Neat idea on the profile taped to the tool rest. I'm going to use that one shortly!

Corey Hallagan
01-01-2007, 8:55 PM
Nother neat idea David! Great job!

Corey

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2007, 8:58 PM
Beautiful work Dave! I'm sure your daughter will cherish it for a long time to come!