PDA

View Full Version : Trouble sharpening bowl gouge

Jason Morgan
01-01-2007, 7:04 PM
Been busy in the shop trying out everything I can with the new lathe. I think I am almost there, but trying to sharpen the bowl gouge is giving me fits. I bought the wolverine and it does great on the roughing gouge, but leaves me with a pointed bowl gouge. Am I going to be running out to buy a varigrind attachment for my wolverine system or is there some trick that Im not privy to.

Thanks for any and all help.

Correction: its a spindle gouge, not bowl gouge

Jason

Mark Pruitt
01-01-2007, 7:38 PM
Jason,
I learned when I first bought my Wolverine that it would only control the angle of the grind. The shape was up to me. If I'm getting too pointy of a profile, I grind more in the middle. Not pointy enough, grind more off the sides. That said, I think you would find the Vari-Grind to be a useful attachment. I'd hate to be without my Vari-grind.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2007, 7:40 PM
Jason,
I learned when I first bought my Wolverine that it would only control the angle of the grind. The shape was up to me. If I'm getting too pointy of a profile, I grind more in the middle. Not pointy enough, grind more off the sides. That said, I think you would find the Vari-Grind to be a useful attachment. I'd hate to be without my Vari-grind.

Jason....I had the same experience as Mark and I agree....I'd hate to be without my Vari-grind.

David Foshee
01-01-2007, 7:45 PM
oneway has some very good videos on their website check them out I was very helpful for me.

Doug Whitson
01-01-2007, 7:52 PM
Not as hard as you may think. I can't seem to load pic's, something about the page being reset. If you are interested, ping me off line and I will send you a few pics you should be able to follow.
Later,
Doug

Pete Jordan
01-01-2007, 7:59 PM
I was having the same trouble until I got this. http://www.geigerssolutions.com/index.html
It is expensive but it gives you a perfect Ellsworth grind every time.

Bill Boehme
01-01-2007, 8:08 PM
Mr. Geiger's fixture is cute looking, but it is unnecessary if you have the Wolverine jig.

Bill

Gordon Seto
01-01-2007, 8:23 PM
As Kevin of Oneway explains: The height adjustment is unnecessary. The grinding wheel is round. You are always grinding your tool at a tangent to the wheel. How far the distance from the wheel determines the tool angle.

Gordon

Jason Morgan
01-01-2007, 9:12 PM
Thanks for all of the help guys! I think I will spring for the vari-grind. I also need a good bowl gouge. My set came with the two fluted spindle gouges and a small "roughing" gouge, but no true bowl gouge. I think that was my initial problem, I was grinding a spindle gouge like a bowl gouge.

There sure is a lot to learn here!

Thanks again.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2007, 9:26 PM
Jason........That's why I hangout here.........Always learning........Good luck with you endeavors in turning! I'm sure enjoying my turning education!

Jim Becker
01-01-2007, 9:45 PM
I was having the same trouble until I got this. http://www.geigerssolutions.com/index.html
It is expensive but it gives you a perfect Ellsworth grind every time.
I'll give a hearty endorsement of the Gieger arm, too...I was doing "ok" with the plywood version I built to adjust the arm for my Ellsworth gouges, but this gave me even better consistancy. Not cheap, however...

I disagree about height not being important, however, both when you are using David's jig (as I do) and because with side grinds, you need to be able to have clearance left and right to complete the smooth motion...even if you choose to use the VariGrind. It may not be "critical" when using the OneWay VariGrind, but it is with David's jig.