PDA

View Full Version : My improvement to an Air Compressor

Perry Holbrook
01-01-2007, 6:41 PM
A few months ago I finally upgraded to a 3HP 60 gal IR compressor. I put it in the shop temporilary (I'm going to install it outside in the spring). One thing I noticed was how small the air filter was and the deep throated noise it mades was at a frequency that was not very pleasant.

So the other day, while at Lowes I picked up the parts I needed to improve on this otherwise pretty well made machine.

The first pic is the small filter (with the cover removed) that came with the machine.

The second pic is my red neck engineering fix. I know that a good bit of the noise from a compressor comes from the intake side, especially that low frequency rumble. So what you see is a muffler for a 7.5 HP gasoline engine with a filter from a shop vac attached, along with a few pipe fittings. (Please don't laugh, I know how hockey it looks.)

Since I'll be putting it out side, the last pic is the assembly complete with a cover for the filter, a plastic paint bucket ( no laughing please).

Anyway, the compressor won't be starving for air from a clogged filter and although the machine is still not the quietest one in the shop, I probably lowered the noise level 10 to 12 bd and changed the frequency to something much less offensive. Not to bad for $18 in parts and about 20 minutes of my time.

OK now you can laugh. Perry

Jim Becker
01-01-2007, 6:59 PM
That's a really kewel idea, Perry! I might have to try that with mine. Although it's nearly "not there" when running due to the location in the DC closet, your idea could make it "invisible", as it were...

Do you happen to remember the threading on the compressor inlet?

Tom Hamilton
01-01-2007, 7:04 PM
Very cool, Perry, nothing like American exceptionalism to solve a problem. I assume you will put together kits for different sizes of compressors and make them available through SMC and other outlets. Perhaps offering the outer shell in colors to match the compressor!

Great job, thanks for sharing,

Tom

Frank Chaffee
01-01-2007, 7:22 PM
Nice job Perry.
Somewhat along those lines, when we once installed a 10 HP compressor in our factory, we ran the intake thru an overbraided flex tube to the filter outside the building.

Perry Holbrook
01-01-2007, 7:38 PM
Jim, the intake is standard 1/2" pipe thread.

Perry

Robert Waddell
01-01-2007, 11:24 PM
Now, Perry! There's no rednecks in the Carolina Mountains just good ole boys! I knows cus I growed up in em thar hills.
Nice Job. I may just have to check into what I can do to mine.
Rob