PDA

View Full Version : Some new pens

Nancy Laird
01-01-2007, 4:50 PM
Here are pics of some of the pens I did this weekend. Unfortunately, my old Mavica camera doesn't have a macro function, so these aren't great pictures, but you can at least see the results of my labors. In addition to these--all American flat-top double twists--I turned 25 7mm twists on Saturday and Sunday. No pictures--they are all boxed for the library.

First 8 are cocobolo:

Single is bocote:

I don't know which wood I like best--both have fantastic grain and coloration. It's going to be hard to part with these.

Thanks for looking.

Nancy

Dennis Peacock
01-01-2007, 5:10 PM
Beautiful pens Nancy!!!! Outstanding work there. :cool: :D

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2007, 5:58 PM
Beautiful work Nancy! Amazing you can turn that many pens in a weekend! Really nice work!

John Hart
01-01-2007, 7:25 PM
You've certainly shown the versatility of the Flat Top. Every color you've turned here is complimented very well by the kit. Nicely done Nancy!

Nancy Laird
01-01-2007, 7:49 PM
Beautiful work Nancy! Amazing you can turn that many pens in a weekend! Really nice work!

Because I couldn't do anything else - we were snowed in!!

workshop on the left; laser shop on the right - looking from the back door of the house.

Nancy

Nancy Laird
01-01-2007, 7:50 PM
You've certainly shown the versatility of the Flat Top. Every color you've turned here is complimented very well by the kit. Nicely done Nancy!

Thanks, John. That's high praise coming from you. I think these are my two favorite woods to turn, because of the colorations I find inside the blanks. I love doing this!!

Nancy

Mark Cothren
01-01-2007, 7:51 PM
Nice work, Nancy!

Corey Hallagan
01-01-2007, 8:58 PM
Nice, are these Berea kits or CSUSA kits? I am amazed at how you guys get this many pens turned in a weekend! Nice job.

Corey

Nancy Laird
01-01-2007, 9:03 PM
Corey, these were ordered from Berea, but the same kit is available from Craft Supplies and Woodworker's Supply and Arizona Silhouettes (they all get their stock from Berea). It's a pretty standard kit.

As I said earlier, we were snowed in so there was lots of time to do them. I didn't leave the house from Thursday night until last night, and I still can't get my car out of the driveway--no clue as to how I'll get to work tomorrow!

Nancy

laurie sullivan
01-01-2007, 9:11 PM
nice pens, the olive wood is one of my favorites. i wish i was snowed in......

laurie

Christopher K. Hartley
01-01-2007, 9:14 PM
Nice pens Nancy, looks like you've been busy. I sure don't miss that snow!:eek: :)

Bernie Weishapl
01-01-2007, 10:30 PM
Nancy those are some beautiful pens. Nice job.

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2007, 10:33 PM
Nice pens Nancy! I need to try some of that type.

Corey Hallagan
01-01-2007, 10:54 PM
Thanks Nancy. I don't think the Berea kit is sold by AZ Silhouette, Bear Tooth Woods and others. PSI has there own kit and I believe the CS-USA kit is a non Berea kit as some folks have trouble with the Berea kit and only make the CSUSA kit.

Again, beautiful pens and that style is my favorite of all... I just not a big fan of the Berea kit as it has such tight tollerances everything has to be absolutely perfect to get them to work.

Corey

Jon Shively
01-01-2007, 11:08 PM
Beautiful pens Nancy. I turned an Olive wood pen today and really like the wood grain that appeared. Will be looking for a good source and quantity of this as I see it being a good seller. Twenty five pens in two days, is this with drilling a gluing blanks? If so, I need a smaller floor plan, faster feet, and would have to quit feeding the stove and petting the dogs! grin

Nancy Laird
01-01-2007, 11:09 PM
nice pens, the olive wood is one of my favorites. i wish i was snowed in......

laurie

Laurie, I have a few pieces of olivewood, but don't know what type - it's just sold as "olivewood" where I get most of my blanks. I've turned a couple from it, and it's nice wood--but I'm finding that the figured stuff, cocobolo, zebrawood, tulipwood, bocote, Bolivian rosewood, are the big sellers. People seem to love the grain and colors of those pieces.

Nancy

Nancy Laird
01-01-2007, 11:17 PM
I'm lucky, I have a hubby who likes the drilling and gluing part of it. I just do the turning. It was actually 34 pens, 25 7mm twists and the 9 posted here. I had a lot of fun!

Nancy

Jon Shively
01-01-2007, 11:28 PM
Hmmmmmmmmm, wonder if my wife,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, nope, bet not. But she is interested in scroll sawing and did buy her a DeWalt, but we have left it in the box for now as we are trying to finish the kitchen remodel as our oldest daughter is graduating HS this spring and that does mean a party at our house. Would like for these people to see some improvement since the girl's confirmations! grin. Great team work!!

John Hart
01-02-2007, 6:23 AM
Thanks Nancy. I don't think the Berea kit is sold by AZ Silhouette, Bear Tooth Woods and others. PSI has there own kit and I believe the CS-USA kit is a non Berea kit as some folks have trouble with the Berea kit and only make the CSUSA kit....

I was out at Berea one day last summer and the owner was giving me a tour. They had pallets of boxes of pen kits all stacked up ready for shipment. The boxes were marked WC, AZS, CS..etc. Inside the boxes, the kits are individually packaged in accordance with who the end seller is, with no Berea markings whatsoever. Jim said that Arizona Sihouette is their biggest distributor. But I think you're right...that they all have their own version as well. and their own sets of bushings and such. Dang bushings! I have piles of them and don't know what they go to!!:o

Harvey M. Taylor
01-02-2007, 7:05 AM
Hi Nancy, according to my count you did 33 pens that weekend. Sure dont want to go in your shop unannounced. Might get chewed up in the machinery. Nice pens. Max.

Corey Hallagan
01-02-2007, 9:01 AM
[quote=Corey Hallagan]Thanks Nancy. I don't think the Berea kit is sold by AZ Silhouette, Bear Tooth Woods and others. PSI has there own kit and I believe the CS-USA kit is a non Berea kit as some folks have trouble with the Berea kit and only make the CSUSA kit....quote]

I was out at Berea one day last summer and the owner was giving me a tour. They had pallets of boxes of pen kits all stacked up ready for shipment. The boxes were marked WC, AZS, CS..etc. Inside the boxes, the kits are individually packaged in accordance with who the end seller is, with no Berea markings whatsoever. Jim said that Arizona Sihouette is their biggest distributor. But I think you're right...that they all have their own version as well. and their own sets of bushings and such. Dang bushings! I have piles of them and don't know what they go to!!:o

John, don't know how I got that typed :), was trying to say, the Berea kit is sold by AZ Silhouette, Beartooth Woods and others. I thought CS USA was a different kit as others have said there kit is trouble free.... Maybe it is the same then. I love the look of that style, but that kit you have to babysit it.

On the bushings... I don't have that many and find it necessary to keep them in orginal bags and then a bigger bag and labled with Sharpie. We my get to see some interesting pens from you John :)

Thanks,
Corey

Mike Ramsey
01-02-2007, 9:32 AM
Those are beautiful pens!! Wished I could learn to like making those, I would rather weed eat my yard!

Nancy Laird
01-02-2007, 10:48 AM
Hi Nancy, according to my count you did 33 pens that weekend. Sure dont want to go in your shop unannounced. Might get chewed up in the machinery. Nice pens. Max.

Hi, Max. You missed one - it was 34! You wouldn't get into my shop unannounced, as there is a very loud bell on the door that jangles whenever the door is opened. LOML installed it several years ago when 4-year-old grandson lived with us for a while and liked to be in the shop with Grandpa--and always snuck in when Grandpa had his back turned. I'd turn off the machines if I heard the bell and saw it was you. With some others I know, I'd just let the machines continue to run:eek: :eek: :eek: .

Thank you, and all of you, for your nice words about my pens. I sure have a lot of fun doing this--and it's always a nice surprise to see what sort of goodies I find inside those blanks.

Nancy

Keith Burns
01-02-2007, 2:37 PM
Nice batch of pens, Nancy !!! Oh, how I'd like to be snowed in for a few days...................