PDA

View Full Version : My new favorite tool

Matt Calder
01-01-2007, 3:32 PM
All,

My new favorite tool is a POS bench plane I got at HD a few years back. I never got it to do anything useful and really never felt much need for a plane. But now my projects are becoming more refined, and less, well, utilitarian. I also started doing a fair amount of machining work which required some sharpening skills. Then I start using a card scraper and wow that was cool. So for Christmas I got myself a set of diamond stones, those big flat pieces of steel with the diamond dust magically embedded in it. That and a Taunton book on hand planes.

This morning I put a nice beveled edge on a bed I am making and there it was, a long straight edge covered with tool marks and burns from a reliable but probably slightly bent table saw blade. I could have sanded it, I could have used the card scraper. Instead I pulled out the hand plane book, went through the tuning steps, and sharpened the blade. After putting the blade back in (right side up this time), I ran it across some scrap, testing the depth of cut. Then whhhisss, I was making shavings. Actually, shavings isn't the word, these were goassamer films, nearly transparent membranes, slipping off the edge of the beveled board. The tool marks, and the burns came off with an effortless whhhisss.

My new favorite tool is that $20 plane, whhhisss, whhhisss, whhhiss.

Matt

Mark Stutz
01-01-2007, 4:19 PM
Matt,
Let this be a warning;) . Get rid of those wispy shavings and throw that plane away before you slip down the slope!:eek: :D
before you know it that one plane will have multiplied, and they grow exponentially! DAMHIKT:D

Seriously, if you move this to the Neander forum you'll get a lot more knowing smiles. Heck some of the guys up here don't even know what a hand plane is!;)

Mark

John Schreiber
01-02-2007, 12:31 AM
Aint it great:D. Even a junker like that tunes up and does beautiful work. I hope I never get to use a Lie-Nielson or the like, it would probably ruin me.

jonathan snyder
01-02-2007, 1:44 AM
Way to go Matt! I really like using my hand planes, all 12 or so of them! Come on over to the Neanderthal Haven forum!

Jonathan

James Carmichael
01-02-2007, 8:20 AM
Danger, Will Robinson, Danger!

Slippery slope ahead!

Marcus Carr
01-02-2007, 9:27 AM
Here is another trick that will refine that hand plane...

Most hand planes do not have a FLAT surface, so...

Remove the blade
attach 600 grit silicon carbide sandpaper to a piece of glass
rub the surface of the plane on the sandpaper until you can see that it has been flattened.
reinstall the blade.

Also, if you stopped at sharpening on the diamond plane, you can still improve the edge. I finish off the sharpening with a buffing wheel loaded with stropping compound. This will give the edge of the blade a "liquid" look and will refine your edge to the point that you can almost float a shaving in the air.

Marcus