PDA

View Full Version : New Tool Gloat

Chuck Beland
01-01-2007, 3:11 PM
I got enough money from my customers to get me my
X Mas gift I order it tomorrow. A brand spanking new Band saw

RIKON 14" Deluxe Bandsaw

Rikon Model 10-325 features 2 speeds (1445 & 2950 ft/min), 13" resaw capacity and a powerful 1-1/2 HP 110/220V motor.

http://www.woodcraft.com/family.aspx?familyid=20041

This will be my first ever bandsaw.

& LOML got me the Barracuda II chuck. So I can finally do other things besides pens.

Christopher K. Hartley
01-01-2007, 3:19 PM
Way to go Chuck. Nice saw! Many happy Bowl Blanks to you and the Mrs. Well actually, she will probably get most of the bowls.:eek:

Ken Fitzgerald
01-01-2007, 4:19 PM
Congrats Chuck! Let us know how that 14" Rikon works!

Chuck Beland
01-01-2007, 4:21 PM
Thanks Chris,
I've got a lot of reading to do in order to use this saw safely. Especially since I've never used or owned one before.

Yup I can't wait to try my hand at some bowls & Inside out turning.

Chuck

Steve Schlumpf
01-01-2007, 10:44 PM
Congrats on the new saw Chuck! Just checked out the link you provided and it looks like quite the saw!

You'll find that a bandsaw is one of the easier tools to use once you get it set up correctly. You'll love it.

One suggestion - when cutting out bowl blanks - make sure that the wood is firmly seated on the table. If the wood is held at an angle or not supported on one section while cutting - the blade could grab instead of cut. This slams the wood down and stalls the machine. Had this happen a couple of times and it cost a blade for each lesson! Be smarter than me!

Mark Singer
01-01-2007, 10:47 PM
Nice looking saw!

Corey Hallagan
01-01-2007, 10:49 PM
Congrats Chuck! Enjoy the new saw!

Corey

John Hart
01-02-2007, 6:29 AM
Pretty nice! I'm jealous.:o

Chuck Beland
01-02-2007, 2:20 PM
Someone gave me a link to a book on it. I'm going to pick it up Since it will not be in until the end of Jan I'll have plenty of time to read about using it safely.

Frank Bonthron
04-26-2007, 5:46 AM
I will order the Rikon 10-325 if it looks as good as its picture, I haven't seen one yet. One nice thing about the saw are the guides, they are Carter guides, remove the side rollers and the lower ones just using the upper aft bearing for up to a 1/4" blade for scroll work, I would guess you could use a 1/16 blade with out any problem. I have the Carter stabelizer (rear bearing with a groove in the center) on my Craftsman 12" BS, let me tell you it works very well for scroll work, the Carter rep at the wood show was resawing with it to show how well it works, not what you would want to do. You adjust tension and tracking, pull the aft bearing and preload the blade 1/8" and your good to go.You will need the rest of the bearings for bigger blades. I plan to make some over size bandsaw boxes and craft stuff and occasionally do resawing.

Bernie Weishapl
04-26-2007, 8:43 AM
Congrats Chuck on the new saw and chuck. Enjoy.